xp pro start up problem

grumpybum

Every time I start up I get xp has recovered from a serious error. Browser is IE6

The error messages are as follows.

C:windowsminidumpmini22404-0dmp

C:docume~1johnlocals~1tempwer1.tmp.dir00sysdata.xml

The figure in the first line 22404-0 does change ie -01 or -2

Can anyone help?

Forgot to add I have run several av's spybot and adaware. Nothing was reported.

[ 26. December 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: grumpybum ]

First things to try

- from your browser, empty your temporary internet files (tools => internet options and click the button for getting rid of them)

- from windows explorer, set it to show all files (tools => folder options => view) and then delete all your temp files so

**- c:documents & settingsusernamelocal settingstemp where username means do for all user accounts

** c:temp (if present)

** c:windowstemp

- click on start => run, key in

code:

sfc scannow

and OK. You will probably be asked for your XP CD.

The above may fix things. Never hurts to clear junk from the temp folders and with XP, the sfc command is about the only way to do a repair of IE.

If that doesn't help, you'll probably need to post a detailed copy of that dump file but that's way beyond anything I can help with so www.windowsbbs.com and look at the sticky post in General Discussions for instructions and a dump tool one of our members has made available. We have a couple of members who can actually understand the results in one of those files and give you specifics on what to do from there.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt thanks for the advice, unfortunatly that didnt work. The pc went haywire. Eventually managed to do a restore which tamed it. Tried a reinstall over the top. This didnt work either but did bring up a new error message. That the problem was hard/software related.

I had just reinstalled AVG7 so I uninstalled it. Result is that the pc now starts ok.

I downloaded Avast but when I try to install that it comes up error and states the temp internet files as the source.

Is there another freebie AV that you can reccomend?

I use AVG and it normally plays nice with XP. You have other problems and they don't sound like much fun to me.

I strongly recommend going to www.windowsbbs.com, looking at the thread for running a dump, and posting that. It will be long and probably won't fit in a single reply but you can break it into 2-3 pieces and post each piece.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President