braid or mono ?

olly30

want to try plugging for bass this year, never tried before. heard lots of people use braid instead of mono, never used braid before and need some advice before i purchase, also any idea what plugs to buy ? seems to be hundreds about, i've seen people using rapalas to good efect but all i hear about at the moment is surface poppers ? help !!!!!!!!!!!!

A search of the forum will find plenty of braid/mono threads. With respect to plugging, Braid enables you to cast further, and the lack of stretch helps you impart action to some surface lures. It does however birdsnest really badly if you don't reel it in under tension, so jerky retrieves are a pain as you have to rod the rod further up the handle and reel in through your fingers. If you use something as strong as 30lb BS or more then you may be able to pull out of snags. Surface lures are great as they're virtually impossible to lose in snags :D

Disclaimer:- I have never caught a bass on a plug, only pollack, garfish & wrasse. It's not for a lack of trying though :mad:

[ 28. January 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Jointed Rapala J11 or J13 (blue) seem to be at the top of the bass plugging game (at least down in the solent).

Berkeley whiplash pro is a good braid to go for - well i've not had any problems with it so far - i'm sure others can recommend other types. I use it on a fixed spool when plugging. Excellent for casting as its very fine. You'll probably want a longish mono trace though as theres no give in braid. at all.

You fishing from the shore or boat?

Hope this helps

Jim

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Hi olly.

try mono first if you dont like pluggin you aint wasted your cash, try the storm chug bug 8cm,i've caught many bass on this one. The rapala skitter pop and yozuri magnet kill as well a great cheapie is the ron thompson popper good lure, happy trials :)

Chug Bugs, rebel pop R's, Skitter pops, All good lures, caught loads of Bass on the above plugs, their all surface poppers. At times i have found the Bass too easy to catch on them, they have been small granted but at times they can be a real give away. So much so i have switched to fly fishing for them, looking forward to this season hoping to get a few more on the fly. As far as braid is concerned i use 20lb bs braid on a 10ft spinning rod with an all through action, found it to be perfect for plugging much better than mono you can really work the lures. Regards Ryan.

---------------

Straght powder & tight lines