INTERNET EXPLORER.

KBONE

Or dual boot linux! :D

Been using Ubuntu linux for the best part of a year now and its very nice if you mainly use the computer for email, internet browsing etc.

Slight learning curve to begin with; i found it a pain setting up a printer, its useless for games, but its been rock solid with no viruses, spyware etc to worry about.

I think it gives you the best of both worlds; browse the internet safely with linux, then switch to windows if you want to play games or other windows only application.

Another firefox fan here btw :D , never mind the safety aspect its impossible to give up tabbed browsing once your used to it! :D

[ 29. September 2005, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Jaffa ]

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Dan:

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Walker:

[qb] but with that kind of thing there's nothing you can do.
I think there is! you can certainly minimise the risk by keeping everything up to date and doing the spyware checks, that where most are falling down at the moment.

You can minimise the risk, yes, but there is an inevitable delay between exploits being discovered and patches and spyware signatures becoming available. You can avoid malware spread by stupidity very easily if you have the remotest amount of clue; don't open untrusted email attachments, don't run untrusted executables, etc. Something which silently installs when you view a web page is an entirely different matter.

quote:

firefox is only safe® at the momnent because the hackers/virus/trojan writers havent been attracted to it, but as soon as its more popular it will, I assure you!

While that's certainly true, and while some of the arguments Mozilla give for why FF is safer are spurious, IE is still more vulnerable at the moment. When IE7 is released, I'll probably move to that.

quote:

You could aways get a MAC!

I could, if I wanted a pretty but overpriced computer, but they aren't the ideal platform for developing Windows software on...