Tripping Anchor

Simon Everett

Right, you may have to be patient as it is some time since I tried to put pictures up -(goan from Newt's corner. Oh no, here we go again).

I have taken some piccies of my anchor set up which, hopefully, will explain how my anchor trips, automatically and resets itself without any whipping twine or cable ties.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my anchor set-up. 1.5kg anchor with 2m of 1/2" chain attached to 50m of parachute cord (15p/m from the army surplus store). The frame is home made and is to an old design used for mackerel whiffing lines (there is a good old Cornish term for you).

The frame is nothing more than two pieces of 1" x 1/2" timber. The cross bars are two at each end, 1/4" round dowel - so as to give more room for air to dry the line better.

Anchor%20trip%20001.jpg

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I think the pics will be pretty self explanatory from now on - so no more waffles, the syrup is getting into my keyboard...

Tripping.anchor.004.jpg

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

And just for good measure here is a picture which shows the comparitive size of the "standard" 1.5kg that everyone is using against the beautiful little .75kg one that I have tried and found it holds the kayak happily - perhaps with a little more line out but that is no hardship.

Tripping.anchor.006.jpg

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

What I would suggest to anyone setting up this anchor tripping system on their own would be to visit the dinghy riggers shop and get them to crimp a length of GALVANISED stay wire onto the anchor in place of my nylon cord - that was only used as an easy way to test the set up.

I am not worried about the cord chaffing through very quickly - because the chain will take up all the snatch (fnr fnr)and prevent much wear on it. When I notice it rubbing through I will have wire fixed - but until then the doubled nylon is plenty strong enough.

I shall have to fix the top end on the little anchor a bit better though - I was jsut too mean with the length of cord! I'll whip the ends down, that will prevent it from coming undone.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo