Wannabe S. coast Kayak Angler

richsurfer

Hi everyone

I started sea kayaking this year and also coarse fishing after a 20 year layoff (must be the dreaded 40th birthday looming in the not too distant future prompting me to do new things). Anyway,stumbled across this forum and wow - combining my new found love of sea kayaking with fishing - I've got to do it.

I've already been sea kayaking around the Purbeck area and Poole harbour. Just added to the fleet with a Malibu 2 so I can take my two lads out for a paddle sometimes aswell. Fishing-wise I was hoping to be able to use the malibu 2 for the moment - here come the questions:

I am a total newb to sea fishing - what methods do you use from your kayaks - are there certain ones more suited to this style of fishing?

Do you fish while paddling, drifting or anchored up?

I was just going to use the homemade 'crate with outflow pipe rod holders' - (hopefully) securely strapped down. Is this strong enough to hold rods while fishing or are proper rod holders really required?

Hi Rich, welcome to AN :)

A homemade crate/pipe rod holders has worked well for me, though I usually hold the rod while fishing on the drift. As yet i've had nothing, of any decent size, to test the crate when using it to hold the rods while trolling.

Fishing methods will vary a lot around the country, but generally I'd say keep the gear as light as you can.

Chris

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Cheers Chris

I'm aiming to test the crate on Sunday - no wind or swell forecast so I might venture out around Kimmeridge or Lulworth area.

If I catch anything I'll probably fall out of the kayak in shock.

Hi there Wannabee - welcome to the friendliest forum of them all!

In answer to your question of how to fish, the asnwer is ALL 3! You can troll a lure while paddling out - and it makes sense to do that as you can pick up mackerel, pollack, garfish and the odd bass while trolling - yak speed is perfect.

Drifting over marks if the tide is not too strong - otherwise you are gone over the fishing area too fast. Sometimes a drogue (sea anchor) can be used to slow the drift - or on the sandbanks a gravel bag just on the bottom to slow you down rather than stop you completely.

At anchor for other places where the fish will come up the tide in search of the bait.

Light gear can be applied to most yak fishing - a spinning rod is ideal - about the weight you would use for pike. For heavier fish, or deeper water, a light boat rod with a multiplier is generally the most versatile combination. A boat rod in the 12lb line class - the Grauvell Coral was up to landing my tope and is very reasonable at around the £60 mark. Keep your eyes open for a secondhand Abu 6500 or similar sized multiplier and you have a very capable outfit for about £100.

Then your coarse fishing skills put into practise will outwit our clumsy sea angling techniques every time!

By the way, your Malibu is fine for inshore work - it is a bit of a beast t have to paddle any distance though! Artful fisher has come to love his - it gives him room to land his tope (he got the biggest you know!)

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Welcome onboard Rich, you'll probably hear from the local boys in the future, Speciman and Zzippy, but they are probably packing for the trip. Both fish your area so will be able to help you.

Like Jaffa says, just keep the tackle light, you'll get far more enjoyment from a big bend in the rod than just winding the fish in on something heavy.

Feathers are always a good start, the new Hokie (think that's the right spelling) work really well, just tie them to the end of your line and add a small lead, can be bounced off the bottom , or trolled whilst you paddle, I've had Bream, Bass and Mackeral off my latest set.

Once you have the first few fish under your belt, you can try bait, spinners, plugs or Fly, they all work in your neck of the woods.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I forgot to mention. With regard to the crate set up - it will be strong enough to troll from if you have the drag set at a weight where the fish can take line. Then you will still set the hook, but you are not putting undue strain on everything until you can get hold of the rod - the forward momentum of the yak and the fish taking the lure is enough to hook it.

Good luck!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thanks for the advice guys - I'll let you know how I get on.

Simon, the malibu 2 is a bit of a big beast, not just to paddle but to put on the roofrack on your own aswell!

With regards to an anchor, what sort is it best to use and where do you get them? I'd be worried about getting it stuck on the bottom or don't they do that?

Rich,

Artfulfisher is just putting the finishing touches to his Anchor system on his Malibu II, I hope to see the set up this weekend.

Most of use 1.5kg (3lb) folding anchors, with a metre of chain and parachute cord for the main anchor warp, this can be purchased from B&Q on a winder.

The chain if fixed to the bottom of the anchor, and then again at the top of the anchor this time attached with a thin cable tie. If the anchor becomes stuck you give it a hard tug and the cable tie should break allowing you to drag the anchor up backwards.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Rich,

also look at the tripping anchor thread on this forum. This is how I have set my anchors up - and the little one works fine, I was using it in about 2 - 2.5 knots of tide and it held firm.

The trip is simple - you just have to get uptide of the anchor if it gets stuck and the chain slides to the toe of the stock and pulls the anchor out of the obstruction the way it went in.

This will even work if you get under a cable or pot line - because it will still work even if there is some give in the obstruction.

The standard method has worked well for hundreds of years, but you do have to take some spare cable ties with you.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo