Open Invite - Durley Rocks - Poole Bay - Weds 17th Aug

SpeciMan

Hi Everyone

Zzippy and I are planning to fish Durley Rocks on Wednesday, meeting in the public carpark at Durley Chine for 6:45-7am.

With high tide close to 8am we may take the ebbing tide and drift from Durley to outer Poole Patch (2.5 miles out) if conditions are right. 24C temp and a 5mph south easterly wind is currently forecast by the Met Office.

Lots of small smoothhound and pack tope up to about 10lb in the bay at the moment. They will be good sport on light tackle. There are lots of other species around too.

Anyone is welcome to join us.

[ 15. August 2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Don't you people ever go to work, it's not right. :D

Would have loved to but duty calls. Think there are a few marks Tope being caught on the South Coast, was told of another near to me, I've bought some more heavy mono just in case I'm tempted. Good luck on Wednesday.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Sorry, like Starvin I'm working too, at the other end of the country - Bridlington this time. Yorkshire One Design race in the bridlington regatta and a restored one to do for Classic Boat.

Never mind, I hope the weather holds for you and that whoever goes you get plenty of hook ups - in fish :)

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Sorry I missed this one - what did you catch?

I could really do with a trip out with someone who knows what they are doing yakfishing-wise. I'd be up for another if you've got one planned speciman and don't mind a sea-fishing beginner along (I'm OK at the paddling bit).

richsurfer,

If you ever get down to south devon then I wouldn't mind you tagging along,

Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

richsurfer:

Sorry I missed this one - what did you catch?  

I could really do with a trip out with someone who knows what they are doing yakfishing-wise.  I'd be up for another if you've got one planned speciman and don't mind a sea-fishing beginner along (I'm OK at the paddling bit).

Hi Rich.

Speciman and I might be fishing the Harbour(Poole)Tomorrow if your intrested.

One of us will post details later on.

I excpect we will launch from Pierce Avenue just to the left of Saltans Marina.Its free parking there

zzippy2.gif

Thanks for the offers - I'm off to West Cornwall for the week on Saturday for some surfing and kayaking and can't make tomorrow (looking after my two lads) but would be keen to head out anywhere in the Bournemouth/Poole/Purbeck area on my return. Do you guys manage to get out most days the conditions are good?

Hi Rich

We caught mackeral, bream and wrasse between us the other day. Lots of small bream in the bay kept pecking and stripping ragworm baits. No tope on our big bait rods though.

We don't have a fishfinder ourselves (I'm holding out till I get a chartplotter/finder combo). Not always knowing where the features are will be holding us back somewhat for venues we aren't famaliar with. With places like Durley its easy to gauge where the rocks are as there are usually pots, wrasse or the anchors get a little stuck on the retrieve! We do have GPS though & can mark our spots.

Tomorrows outing is cancelled. I may pop out at the weekend but it will be last minute for me.

We don't get out most days once or twice a week usually. Yesterdays was a 9 hour session.

Purbeck area sounds good. How about a planned trip out to Lulworth banks on a neap from Lulworth Cove or launch from Lulworth and tootle west to Durdle Door or even head east and fish close inshore near fossil forest down to Mupe Rocks.. choices, choices.

Haven't fished out there before and would like experience of it. I think the outer part of the banks is 2.5 miles out but we don't need to go that far. Tide strength is supposed to be similar to Outer Poole patch so should be OK on neaps. Usual species can be caught there from what I've heard.

[ 18. August 2005, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Rich,

next time you get a few days head to North Wales - I'll hook up with you.

Try and get along to one of our tope meetings, plenty of help/friendly advice/tackle sharing (Starvin :D:D )Camp camaraderie that kind of thing - you know, you're snoring away and someone bangs on the door and wakes you up!

Easy launch, easy paddle, good fishing. Nice camp site too.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Speciman - I've paddled out from Kimmeridge quite a few times, going both ways and staying inshore - going west to Worbarrow/Mupe bay areas there always seems to be lots of fish activity on the surface. Got to be careful of the firing days though.

I fancy going out from Lulworth aswell - I had an aborted trip there a few weeks back without a trolley - didn't realise they close the road down to the cove in the summer - now got a trolley as carrying my yak is not an option. I don't think tide strength is a problem due to sheltering from Portland - don't know about several miles offshore though.

When I get back from Cornwall I'll try and get time for some trips - can do late afternoons/evenings most days while still light, plus weekends.

Simon - is the Aberdovey of the Tope meetings located near Aberystwyth? Looks quite a tortuous route on the map for me, but with the chance of a weekend off from the family..... What's the campsite called?