fly fishing from a yak

Hungry Fisherman

hi ppl i have a trout fishing rod line 7/8

floating and sinking what line shoud i use float or sink any lures feathers what ones do i buy and where from lol the only option i can think of doing apart from using my trout flys is to buy the mackerel jigs and cut of individual feathers for the rod lol

as usual

feed back will be greatly apreciated :D

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get your flies online at :

www.oceanflies.com

or www.ukswff.com

much cheaper than from the shops, or you could talk to Snatcher very nicely.

Clousers and deceivers are good to start with, Simon told me to try and blue and white deceiver and yes it worked, the only thing is that the deceivers are quite big flies and unweighted, I find them hard to cast on the kayak, clousers with their added weight are much easier, a sinking line also helps when casting. But a floating line is usually better where I fish.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hungry fisherman - your 7/8 weight is fine until the wind really gets up, but even then if it is off your back - which in a kayak you can position yourself so it is - then you should be able to cast no bother 25 yards is all you need in a kayak.

Floating line and a size 2 deceiver in blue and white - either from Sportfish on their salt water fly page, or from Hardy's of Alnwick - no dearer, they both stock Fulling Mill flies. I know Hardy's have the size 2 because he ordered them while I was there!! The blue and white seem to work the best until the water is coloured when go for something with orange in it. This set up will get you garfish, mackerel and bass.

For pollock and coalfish use the sinking line - also for bass in deeper or faster tide rips - and the same deceiver - I actually use the 2/0 size if the weather is suitable for bass, but they will still take size 2,s so get half a dozen of each - I have found that these deceivers are quite well tied. One 2/0 has now been chomped by at least 25 fish, so it has earned its keep. The pollock seem to prefer the orange clour better - so get a few of those too.

That's it, simple as that.

Sportfish also have some lighter "bass flies" which are just a streamer, but they are not very good. The hooks are too small and the streamers get tangled around hook - one reason I prefer the deceiver, they cast as well and fish better without spinning your leader up.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

k bought a mix of 6 flys for around a tenner scousers sand eels and stuff will see what happens when i get em as for the idea of taking of ones on mackerel jigs would that work?

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Use your mackerel jigs as they were intended - if you try to fly cast with the string of 5 or 6 hooks you will just a get the mother of all tangles! The wind will play havoc with them and if you find a small shoal and get 2 or 3 fish on you will not get them in before they have knitted a mackerel jumper! Just use one fly to start with and later you can add a dropper, but I still prefer to fish one fly well rather than two less effectively - twice the chance of getting weed on the hooks.....

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

lol what i meant i thought i explained was to take of one fly at a time lol and use it for the fly rod i have done some fly fishing before and would not like to try two flys while sitting down lol

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Tried Fly Fishing last year, couldn't get on with sitting down, fly line around my feet, around fish finder, big tangles... I know, I thought, I can surf, I can stand up on the yak..I couldn't... :D:D:D

Why can't you cast sitting down?

Just get the belly of the line in the air and give your left hand a tug as you cast forward - aim up a little bit and it goes out far enough for fly fishing from a kayak - if the line gets tangled up around things, take a sheet out with you - a sheet of thick polythene from any old thing for the line to sit on. That works as a line tray on the kayak - with the new prototype there is nothing to get tangled up on, lovely!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo