Any Yakers in Pembrokeshire

GB

Hi All

New to the site, well sort of I've been reading for a few weeks.

Is there anyone fishing kayaks in Pembrokeshire, I have fished my own boat for many years but have given it up as it's to much work on my own. I am looking to get a canadian style canoe rather than a yak as I cant sit in 1 position for too long, but I still want that independence that a small craft will give me. Any ideas on selection as there are literally hundreds of opions out there.

Cheers

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi GB and welcome.

An Indian style canoe would not be something I'd want to use in the ocean.

You might want to investigate craft like some of the ones shown Here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi GB,

...and welcome as Newt says!

I'm in Pembrokeshire and regularly yakfish the coast. At the moment I'm snowed under with work and so won't go into a long introduction. However your seating problem would seem to be an issue. Have you tried any of the new breed of Sit-on-Top kayaks that we all tend to use?...They are suprisingly comfortable with a massive range of seats. Many guys sit conventionally to paddle and then sit 'side saddle' with there legs dangling over the side when fishing. Also it depends how long is 'too long' in one position. My trips don't tend to last very long as you are straight out, into the fish, and back in...unless you go sight seeing...saying that I have been out for 8 hours or so!

Anyway Canoe wise, I don't think I'd have much advice as I have no experiences, but if you fancy a go on a Sit-on-Top I'd be happy to let you loose on one of mine.

Cheers for now, must get back to work!

Art :)

Art , i'm down near Martinshaven some time in the next month but only for one night. Was going to have a day on the rocks(after work!) , not knowing the area wasnt going to take the Prowler , unless of course you know different!!

Ok Prowler 13

Thanks for the replies guys

I am still gonna go down the canoe route as I cant sit in 1 position for more than an hour or 2 at most. It would be great to meet up with someone for a session in Pembrokeshire, and being in a canoe I can take a bit more gear so can act as a supply boat for any yakers who want a bit of storage. I do have a long list of good marks on my chart from many years of inshore boating so back to it for the last grasp of the season. So anyone fancy a session soon get in touch.

Artfull thanks for the offer, next time your out give me a shout and I would love to have a quick scoot on yer yak just to get the feel for 1 as I might still get 1 for creek fishing in milford haven.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi GB

If you're buying a Canadian canoe to use on the open sea I'd recommend trying a sit on top first. I feel it would much safer to fish from something which is more stable & practically unsinkable.

As for storage space most of the sit on tops have enough space on board to carry everything we need. On my 11ft Caper I'm fitting a small live bait tank to the back, a trolling motor and there is still room in the front hatch should I wish to carry more gear (and thats on a little yak).

When you're fishing on a sit on top you can move your butt around a bit and sit side on - I've had little snoozes on mine and have also fished seated facing backwards at times.

After being caught out in high swells I wouldn't dream of taking a Canadian style canoe out fishing. Even in Poole Harbour wake from the Condor ferry has been known to tip them over... sploooosh!!

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Martin, send me an email when you know your visit date (I get notification of emails and I wouldn't want to miss you're posting!) I had real fun yakfishin the Tournament a stones throw form Martinshaven...so as long as the weather's reasonable we should be able to find a spot nearby. :)

GB, I'm away this weekend coming but around thereafter, so I'll get in touch and we'll meet up somewhere for a paddle.

Tightlines, Art :)