Glues

Fodder

I was hoping I could get some opinions on the best glues to work with on Kayaks.

I'm looking for the sort of glue that I would use for general work like, fixing a rod holder, glueing a polythene 'chopping' board to a plastic bucket for used as a platform for rod holders and gps/ff, glueing a pvc fitting to the inside hull for a FF transducer... etc (you get the idea)

Is there one glue that does it all, or will I need different glues for different applications.

Thanks in advance :)

For general sealing around rod holders and all screw and bolt holes I use Loctite 595, Aquasure for glueing lightweight items and for a really good hold Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy. Have tested many other glues, sealants and epoxies and these are the ones that worked best for me. Just to let you know the Devon 5 minute Expoxy didn't work at all.

Check out www.anglersafloat.co.uk for more details on fitting your accessories.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks SM

Well I'm planning on designing and creating a small 'console'

A plastic basin, with a nylon/poly 'chopping' board glued and screwed onto the top. I then plan on cutting a hole in the board and fitting a small rectangular boat hatch (screw/glue) to the board. This would allow me access to a water tight basin for the battery compartment and other stuff inside the basement. I would then like to attack the rod mounts and GPS mounts to the top of this surface.

This whole design would allow me to move the 'console' backwards and forwards depending on where I am sitting in the Malibu 2 XL (Solo or tandem)

would the 959 cover the whole thing?

No the 595 is a Sealant Adhesive, it drys rubbery and will tear away from the polyethylene if pulled hard, only use as a sealant. Worth mentioning that the Devcon 2 Ton gets seriously hot so watch what you mix it in and test on a scrap before going for it.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Give the 595 a try, it's easy to clean up if it doesn't, just pull it and roll the remainder like a boogey :D

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Also worth a try is....."Sticks like *hit"......yes that realy is what its called.

Buy it in Jewsons for about £5 a tube.

Ive used it for most of my rigging needs with good results.

Rough up the area to be stuck, wipe off with meths cloth, leave to dry, then off you go.

Can actualy be used on a damp surface too.

For those unlucky enough to have leaking Scuppers, this stuff is the business for a temp repair.

YY :)