lights?

richi

i was fishing last saturday evening just off of the dock head in southampton water.just as it turned dark i saw a boat coming towards me with a flashing blue light.it was the harbour master, he told me i must have lights on me yak anyway i had to pack up and paddle back....do you lads that fish around the busy poole harbour have lights on your yaks? i was thinking of buying a couple of head lamps and sticking a red lens on one and a green on the other location southampton ocean caper angler yellow

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Richi

Up until now I've been using a white led headlamp. I think the law requires a fixed white light - green and red may be a bit over the top on such narrow craft but knowing me I'll probably add them them at some point. Poole Harbour is actually quite quiet this time of year - even in the busier stretches.. only late last week Zzippy and I were fishing within the entrance of the harbour near the chain ferry :D

Recently ordered an LED Mastlight Bulb which should come through tomorrow and will be rigged up to a 12v batt... the draw on this is very low...looking forward to seeing how bright it is. Reflective tape will be added to the yak too.

If you put a bright light inside the hull of your yellow yak it should light the whole thing quite nicely :)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Must add that at least for me I don't plan to do lots of night fishing (however there will be a few nighttime sole and flounder sessions this autumn). As you've found, with the nights drawing in it will be easy to be caught out in the dark so best to be prepared. I'd go as far as to say that even for daylight fishing in the winter a torch/light should be taken.

Richi if you want to add your location/kayak to your signature click the 'my profile' link at the top of the page then click the 'edit profile' link and find the relevant section.

[ 03. October 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Speciman, I have just bought off eBay Item no a 4579873251 48 inch high navigation light on a pole which I am going to run on the same battery as the fish finder hopefully?. I have also been on 4 trips now and the 3m reflective tape seems to be holding up well .So far the best light I've found doesn't grow on trees it grows on the red cones on the A12 :D .All you need is a yellow flashing light that grows on the top of Red cones take out the diode that makes it flash and it fits perfectly into the cup holder and it gives out a warm glow that lights up around the cockpit area :D:D and now for the nightmare do i remember how to post the pics :confused:

The 4footpole looks good. I've seen them in my local chandlers but didn't realise they were easy to take down and put in the front hatch. Was going to make up a telescopic one but will have a rethink on that..

Your cockpit light sounds interesting!

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow