Locating Pike

joso

I thought I would skip work tomorrow and have a pike session. So decided to go to a rather big lake, its 70 acres and has very few visible features.

This is a map of it :

caldecotte.jpg

The red bits are the places you can fish. I was planning on drifting a big roach from the top of Section 'C' or dropping a livebait and a deadbait in front of the dam but not too sure. Any tips for locating pike in such waters as this, any signs to look for, etc..

I usually fish small lakes, full of features but thought I would try somewhere new.

Thanks B)

My veiw towards fish location (especially with predators) is some what simple but for me has proved sucsessfull. My aproach is very simple -find the food and thats where any feeding pike will be! Not interested in ones basking or just laying up feeding fish are what we want!

So instead of worrying about the features/depths/location of the pike just use your water craft and knowledge to find which of the features/depths/locations the prey fish will be in.A sound knowledge of the waters inhabitants will tell you where they will be found at certain times of the year and in certain conditions.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes, find the prey fish. But, if you are lure fishing, basking pike are also worth looking for. Basking pike will often snap at a lure if it comes close enough, but will generally ignore a deadbait.

If I really am at a loss as to where to start I would head for the North East corner, its down to the prevailing wind, so I'm told, but that is where the wee beasties often feed.

Fishing hard against the dam wall, as you suggest, could be worthwhile.

Follow the locals!!

hey joso

another great tatic for new waters is wobbling a deadbait,good way to cover water.

as is drifting to,you could infact go with the aim to travel light and move frequently,look for prey fish topping or preds striking(even perch),i would put a dead in teh margins while i work the water infront of me with a wbbled or drifted bait,search the water and move.(ps i cant see the map?)

also i got ya PM but all was wiped during the board move,so i will send one soon i can just remeber what was in teh message! :D:rolleyes::unsure:B)

hey budgie,long time no speak

Edited by Ratty Fitzpatrick46

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Hi Russ good to see your still here!

One other good dodge I forgot to mention is if there are matchs/lots of general anglers on the water see where the best weights of prey fish are being caught or where they are having "problems" ( :rolleyes: ) with pike attacking the fish they are catching etc.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It's looking to me like the two portions of this water are linked under that road? If so thats your winter spot! The fry will probably congregate and you can intercept the Pike that come hunting by fishing the mouth one side or another? If I'm mistaken, get wobbling like Ratty says and find em but remember they'll move soon when winter really arrives.

Edited by Dave Horton

Dave has high-lighted the bridge. Sound advice, especially if the Sunday afternoon duck feeders congregate there. The bread that they feed to the ducks can really bring in the prey fish, and therefor the pike.

Think I will give that a shot then. Most of the ducks are fed along there as there is a little Picnic/Children's play area. The water under the bridge narrows to about 25ft wide, not sure of the depth though. Will give it a shot on the weekend and let you guys know.

Thanks Everyone :)