Trotting With An Avon Rod

jeepster

off to the chew with glenn b tomorrow to get some much needed trotting practice before timsbury next weekend. currently i don't have a float rod, only a 12ft 1 1/2 lb avon rod, what will the pros and cons of using this be

cheers

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trotting with an avon rod, not ideal, the 'pick up' on the line will be slow impeding you chances of hooking at distance. If I were you I would use big baits and big stick floats, perhaps a chub or two might sympathise with you. To be honestI 'm a bit peeved I wont be with you two, (rekindle memories of my yoof) but I have to work, I know it won't be the same without me, but best of luck anyway :(

I agree with PW, great fun and the Okuma Aventa Pro (the gold one) is brilliant. I have been on the River Wissey at Hilgay twice recently with my 14' Shakespeare Ganza (a bit soft perhaps but on both occasions I caugh fish all day long. A 3AAA float will easily pull the line off the reel without difficulty. Makes your arm ache though!!! Good luck at weekend, shame we never got to fish in Derbyshire but perhaps you can give away some secrets now and tell me were the best bits are on the Derwent

Pete

Spot on rabbit, not the ideal rod but not the end of the world either!

I would use a good bigish balsa or bodied avon float bulk shotted to get the bait down in the water, this bulk shotting will also help you mend the line better than a string of shot.

Big baits I'm not sure of but I would stick with good old fashioned magots, remember to feed little and often but increase the rate if you start to catch as Chub are very greedy fish.

Oh and don't forget the Hemp!

Wish I could be there too but I have to work, I hope you guys will post some pics.