Virgin Water

mc_mrbishi

Hi all,

I have been given permission to fish a one acre lake that has never had fishing allowed on it.

It has just been taken over by some new owners and i asked them if me and a friend could fish it this sunday and they have given me permission as a one off.

The lake has a stream running into it which is full of small brown trout, when i was younger i also see a dead chub about 4lb on the surface of the lake trapped at the weir.

There is big trout in the river where it runs off from the weir but they cant get into the lake.

The lake is about 2 feet deep at the end where the river flows in and 10 feet at the wall by the weir.

The lake appears very snaggy round the edges due to tree branches.

I am unsure what is in the lake as is the owner if anything!!

I was just wandering if anyone had any tips on bait i should use and tactics?

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

I would start of with natural baits like worms and maggots; just to see what comes along, with bread and corn for back up.

This time of year I would start of at the deeper end especially with the colder weather forecast for this weekend.

I would probably start on the float with maggot and alternate with feeder/ledger tactics.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

If you are going to fish it regularly yes, I would loose feed first, at this time of year though, in case you over do it and introduced gradually it will be more immediate.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

going against my principles offering suggestions to a spurs fan (insert offensive noise),

but i would advise getting there at dawn to see if any fish are rising, and as mentioned above go with natural baits such as worms. Also it may prove worth while to take a light spinning outfit and a small selection of lures wich will allow you to cover more water and catch a multitude of species.

going against my principles offering suggestions to a spurs fan (insert offensive noise),

but i would advise getting there at dawn to see if any fish are rising, and as mentioned above go with natural baits such as worms. Also it may prove worth while to take a light spinning outfit and a small selection of lures wich will allow you to cover more water and catch a multitude of species.

Lol cheers zedhead. I was thinking of getting down there about 6 just before sunrise.

I hadnt thought of spinning so i will take a small outfit as you say.

Please dont tell me your a gooner :rolleyes:

nah i aint a gooner mate im an man city fan but spurs are one of my most hated clubs, along with the shites (man u), birmingham, forest, liverpool, leeds, everton, etc etc.

Anyway back to the fishing, your doing the right thing taking a lure rod as if there is chub, trout, perch or pike you should find out with this method. Hope it throws up some nice suprises for thy.

Probably something you would do anyway, but please remember to use a wire trace if you are lure fishing, no matter what lure is on the end, as a pike may take it.

Thanks,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Yeah i hope it throws up some surprises aswell mate i will post on here when i get back and let you know how i get on.

Boozlebear, i will be using a wire trace as i always do when spinning, but it is a very good point, from my experience that isnt something alot of anglers do whether through not knowing or just stupidity.