A Call To Arms

Guest @AUTUMN@

Guest @AUTUMN@

On the inside front cover of last weeks fishing news I read an interesting article calling for a media campaign to promote the fishing industry. Reading between the lines anglers and conservationists are to be declared the enemy as we claim the seas to be barren wildernesses.

I guess we can expect a load more bull about the sea teaming with fish from the propaganda agency.

I wondered where the commercials here got thier odd ideas from.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a very sensible idea to me @autumn@ and one that's long overdue.

Maybe we can get then get some reasoned debate in our media, instead of the current one sided, same old same from a small clique who have easy access to London politicians and media.

The current one sided, and often inaccurate, coverage of the issues is shockingly bad.

Maybe they should borrow some techniques from the anti salmon farm mob; things like bulk e mailers that allow you to write one protest letter to numerous newspapers. Get press releases done and mailed around the world on the morning a new science paper comes out (that way you can avoid the problematic bits like normal scientific peer review and questioning).

That and cozy little private chats with government of course ;):D

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Maybe we can get then get some reasoned debate in our media, instead of the current one sided, same old same from a small clique who have easy access to London politicians and media.

Why is the above true when we have all these angling programs, we should be in the fore front when it comes to media connections, errrm is someone not coming out into the open and supporting angling??

They should as their very existence relies on it surviving

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Quote:

I guess we can expect a load more bull about the sea teaming with fish from the propaganda agency.

I wondered where the commercials here got thier odd ideas from.

Don't need to look to the commercials to see where they get their ideas from. Have a look at this month's 'Total Sea Fishing'. "Thousand times more Cod in the North Sea this year and an abundance of double figure Bass being caught. Best year ever". And that's from our side? :o

TSF say they have their information from I.C.E.S. The link to the press release is here: http://www.ices.dk/aboutus/pressrelease/Pr...0oct%202005.pdf

I know I'm a bit of a slow starter in the mornings but on this news report is the following regarding Cod: 'Meanwhile Cod stocks in the North Sea, Irish Sea and West of Scotland remain well below recommended levels and the advice for these stocks and Iberian Peninsular Hake, which is also in poor condition, is zero catch'.

Now I'm confused.

A thousand times more codling in the sea. That is something we debated recently when similer claims were made in my local paper.

http://www.whitbytoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2....ticleID=1224525

If it's true then it dont matter which side it's come from as its great news. My problem with that claim is where is the evidence.

:D THERE MAY OR MAY NOT BE MORE CODLING, OR ANYTHING ELSE FOR THAT MATTER. The problem is letting it live long enough to become adult and breed to continue the species. With the industrial netting of sandeels and pout, the codling will either starve or be eaten by their parents before spawning. The other problem is the commercial fleet netting tons of undersize fish to catch a couple of boxes of sizeable fish. Net 10 tons of undersize cod or haddock, discard 9 tons of dead undersize fish and keep 1 ton, good for the bank balance but a disaster for conservation and it's legal. :angry:

Guest @AUTUMN@

As an editor of a magazine Norm you have potentialy a bigger voice than most of us. Have you done an article about this yet ? This discarding of undersize fish is a fact you know (I'm unsure of the amount but it does happen). I can give you some evidence to back it up.

With regard to this claim of 1000 times more codling in the sea. Will someone please show me the evidence. PLease please please !!!!!

When a member of the fishing industry makes such a claim Im always a bit sceptical as to why. Then an angling magazine makes the same claim and I begin to wonder if there is truth in it or if they read the stuff the commercial guys published. Show me the evidence and ill be happy as larry. Id be well chuffed it were true.

This reply from ICES regarding the reports that they had said Cod were on the up a thousandfold.

"ICES has not made the statement quoted and I am not aware of what is the basis for the statement.

The most recent survey information (September 2005) does not show the suggested increase rather it shows that low recruitment seen in recent years continues.

Regards

Hans Lassen"

Somebody has it very wrong or maybe the true statement got lost in translation on its way to 'Whitby Today' and 'TSF' ;)

As an editor of a magazine Norm you have potentialy a bigger voice than most of us. Have you done an article about this yet ? This discarding of undersize fish is a fact you know (I'm unsure of the amount but it does happen). I can give you some evidence to back it up.

With regard to this claim of 1000 times more codling in the sea. Will someone please show me the evidence. PLease please please !!!!!

When a member of the fishing industry makes such a claim Im always a bit sceptical as to why. Then an angling magazine makes the same claim and I begin to wonder if there is truth in it or if they read the stuff the commercial guys published. Show me the evidence and ill be happy as larry. Id be well chuffed it were true.

:D I've had nothing from Defra to show me there are plenty of fish in the sea. Defra send me press releases on a regular basis and are very keen to let me know of any 'good' news, which makes it very strange that I've heard absoluty nothing from them about this matter. I would be interested to know where TSF got their info on this. :rolleyes: