Pike Fishing !

Crackin Clax

[b]Hello everybody, unsure:

I am extremely new to this site and am very impressed by all of your knowledge on fishing. I am not a novice at course fishing for chub, bream, tench etc, but recently have have been becoming increasingly attracted to predator fishing. I have bought myself a shakespeare spinning rod (£15.99) 12 lb line, treble hooks readily tied to trace, wire trace and a plastic rattling lure. I intend on giving my new gear a try on sunday, i was wondering if there is any advice on predator fishing.... baits.... deep rivers/shallow rivers/fast moving/slow moving etc... Any advice would be appreciated as i am hunting for ideas...

Thanks

:D [/b]

sorry about the bold and the failed emotions but i am very new to the site.... and rubbish with computers!

The Clax Will Always Crack

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Hello everybody, unsure:

I am extremely new to this site and am very impressed by all of your knowledge on fishing. I am not a novice at course fishing for chub, bream, tench etc, but recently have have been becoming increasingly attracted to predator fishing. I have bought myself a shakespeare spinning rod (£15.99) 12 lb line, treble hooks readily tied to trace, wire trace and a plastic rattling lure. I intend on giving my new gear a try on sunday, i was wondering if there is any advice on predator fishing.... baits.... deep rivers/shallow rivers/fast moving/slow moving etc... Any advice would be appreciated as i am hunting for ideas...

Thanks

:D [/b]

sorry about the bold and the failed emotions but i am very new to the site.... and rubbish with computers!

Have a look around:-

www.pacgb.co.uk

Edited by Peter Waller

sorry peter but my web browder doesn't seem to be loading up that website that you gave me...... thanks anyway

;)

Make it www.pacgb.co.uk i.e not "com" but "co"

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

before i attemp to catch the fiereciset predator in english waters........ are that really that hard to unhook??? Any tips??

I'm quite new to lure fishing too and was a bit worried about what I'd do if I actually managed to land a pike. I have to say that having managed eight pike in the last month (4 trips) I have completely lost my fear (but not respect) of these impressive creatures. As long as you're decisive you can "chin them out" saving a fortune on ruined nets. Once on the bank they're much more placid than carp and a whole lot less disgusting than bream! I would also suggest de-barbing the trebles as this makes the proceedure much easier and I haven't lost a fish as a result.

I think that by it's nature, lure fishing doesn't allow for deep hooking as the takes are immediate and you're always in contact with the hooks.

A good set of forceps (curved) and a pair of long nosed pliers will make short work of the trebles and I've had no problems putting them back to fight another day. I would suggest having a fellow angler present who has previously caught a pike for your first attempt as they will guide you through the unhooking process correctly. Make sure you have an unhooking mat as they are quite delicate out of water.

Finally, I've had all my fish on either a Shakespeare Big S Rattling Plug (a bit bashed up now!), a Fox Micro Jointed Runt (both in perch colours) or a Fox Micro Demon (Bloody Roach) which is a sort of hybrid plug/jelly-tail type lure. Well worth checking out.

thanks whistlekiller... thats good to hear as i have no experienced pike angler to go with. I haven't got a clue what farry is going on about though....pike havin no teeth???? what are you talkin about farry? Gudgeon have no teeth ! I am also intending on doing some deadbaiting and livebaiting....any tips on what baits to use? Thanks again

The Clax Will Always Crack

Sorry to constantly repeat myuself but the only way is to get an experienced pike angler to show you the ropes.

As all ready mentioned despite their teeth ( yes thet do have them) and ferocious looks they are real delicate and easily damaged.

Also any pike angler worth his salt will be able to show you far better ways of catching them than a lump of cheese!

Many local clubs run teach ins at this time of year some even insisting that these are attended before you are allowed to fish for them.

Let us know where you live as we may be able to put you on to some one.If not try asking at your local PAC.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!