Greys Prodigy 12ft 1.75 TX Barbel rod ?

GregS

If you saw the excessive stresses that the blanks receive in the design stage I've little doubt that you would be impressed however since they started building them in China the build quality has reduced slightly. However they are still excellent rods in use and I have two Grey's Prodigy Barbel rods (1.5lb & 1.7lb) and two Grey's Prodigy Specimen twin tip rods (with 1.5lb & 2lb tips), plus 2 prodigy Carp rods and they have all had a lot of hard use catching Barbel, Chub and Carp.

The Barbel and twin tip rods have lovely forgiving through actions with a lot of power in reserve in their butt sections to handle extra large fish and I have never had any of them start to lockup under stress like some other rods do.

My only misgiving is that I had a butt ring liner pop out on one of my Barbel rods at one time; but since getting it changed I haven't had any further problems with any of them.

Keith (BoldBear)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Good rod - I use mine with the quivertip for upstream presentation on a couple of swims on the Kennet. Nice action and deals with everything I've hooked up to low doubles. My only criticism is that its tip heavy - but all 12ft leger rods do to me. When did the 11ft go out of fashion and why?

M

Like Boldbear I bought a pair of early Prodigy Specimen rods with 1.5lb & 2lb tc tops. They've seen many fishing miles over the years (inc. many Ribble barbel) with no problems at all. Great blanks, but I'm not sure if the same quality control or budget for fittings is applied to the latest Prodigy's. I think Greys may be finding times hard.

Personally I don't think £99 is anywhere near enough money for a quality rod, so maybe that says it all.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Good rod - I use mine with the quivertip for upstream presentation on a couple of swims on the Kennet. Nice action and deals with everything I've hooked up to low doubles. My only criticism is that its tip heavy - but all 12ft leger rods do to me. When did the 11ft go out of fashion and why?

M

I like the extra foot, it helps keep the line up off the water on a bigger/wider river. I don't care about balance much as its nearly always in a rest or got a sizable lump of lead hanging from the tip and sometimes a fish pulling on it as well. Wouldn't be my first choice trotting rod unless Nessy came south for her hols. :-)

Cheers guy ! As far as I know those rod are build in 2011? But I've seen them in a tackle2u shop discounted from 135 to 100 and I'm just about to buy 1.75 lb for now... @lutra can u tell me if river ribble in ribchester is any good for barbel fishing this days ? Maybe u can give me some advise with ribble ? Cheers again for all answers :)

Cheers guy ! As far as I know those rod are build in 2011? But I've seen them in a tackle2u shop discounted from 135 to 100 and I'm just about to buy 1.75 lb for now... @lutra can u tell me if river ribble in ribchester is any good for barbel fishing this days ? Maybe u can give me some advise with ribble ? Cheers again for all answers :)

Yep Ribchester is fine for barbel, they are pretty much right through the river these days. All usual tactics and baits work, but float gear is most fun.

Check that Tigger out, he loves his barbel ( and dolls, but that another story).

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5055590-just-got-back-in-from-a-great-trotting-session/