heavy salmon/trout fly

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

I know im probably in the wrong forum, but salmon and trout do live in the sea too.

Im looking for a fly or selection of flies ranging from 12 to 20 grams. the type colour etc doesnt matter that much. i would prefer a fly/flys with a treble hook.

anyone got any ideas? + where can i get them from and at what price?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys should be able to help you Winter.

http://www.sportfish.co.uk

or

www.fmtc.co.uk

Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

What exactly do you want it for? As you say, the selection is vast, but most are more suitable for one type of situation than others. Give us an idea of your requirement and we may be able to help.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Try some salmon tube flies, salmon trebles or maybe some salt water patterns although most of these don't have names would have thought tube flies would be what your after as these are usually used with a treble

[ 12. August 2004, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: chappers ]

Guest jay_con

theyre for fishing my local river in the dark.

the environment agency(short for bunch of a---holes) have passed a byelaw of fishing with a fly only on my river after dark. well the best months are sept and oct, and when i finish work its dark. we think they done this to stop us fishing alltogether.

at times the fish will take anything that moves. but to fish effectively when the river is flowing hard you need something with weight to it. i spoke to some guys who told me that some flys are very similer to our spinners except they dont have a blade. well i feel they may work. im gonna replace my spinner with a fly when it gets dark. the law says fly only. it doesnt stipulate fly rod and reel. so any ideas on a fly of 12 to 20 gram that i can try? anywill do. what is a helleys shrimp? someone suggested this may work?

HElleys srimps a big fly usualy orange looks just like a shrimp, Big probably wieghty and with trebles, I will advise to be carefull, Athough you may have found a loophole that they didnt actualy say fly rod and reel i bet they would still try to slap you a hefty fine for using spinning rod/reel with a fly on the end, One river i fished for seatrout although it said fly only they where very strict, They allowed the use of worm, however, i used a half oz ball wieght once and got told off by the balif as apparently it was splitshot only,

Seatrout fishins better in the dark anyhow....

Tight Lines

Shaun

Guest jay_con

yeah leads got to be small or big. it does say that. but how can they do me for using a fly on a spinning rod?

whats everyone else thing. the byelaw says fly only not fly rod and reel only

Guest jay_con

it reads -

"Fishing in rivers streams and drains for salmon and migratory trout between the end of the first hour after sunset and the beginning of the last hour before sunrise shall be an offence unless the bait used consists of a natural or artificial fly with each hook not exceeding a 10mm diameter."

it does not seem to stipulate rod and reel type