Kent Beaches

Jaffa

So whats the best way to target cod that are focused in on sprats?

Sprat as a bait is generally pretty useless in my opinion. I have tried it many times over the years and had little success. However they are taking the better whiting at the moment. Head and tail them, cut whats left in half and use as a bait. The whiting love them. The only baits that seems to pick up the codling when they are feeding on sprat here, are large lug worm baits and baits made up of several thin strips of cuttlefish stitched onto the hook and threaded up the line. I have never caught a cod over 8lb, on worm, in 35 years of fishing. Big lunkers, if they are around, need huge baits.

Sprat as a bait is generally pretty useless in my opinion. I have tried it many times over the years and had little success. However they are taking the better whiting at the moment. Head and tail them, cut whats left in half and use as a bait. The whiting love them. The only baits that seems to pick up the codling when they are feeding on sprat here, are large lug worm baits and baits made up of several thin strips of cuttlefish stitched onto the hook and threaded up the line. I have never caught a cod over 8lb, on worm, in 35 years of fishing. Big lunkers, if they are around, need huge baits.

Big Cod were caught on a regular basis in the sixties on Lug. Reason? There were plenty of them. Six lug on a 5/0 was just the job. Used to catch anything.