Considering Taking Up Fly Fishing

Guest Josh Iddon

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have course fished since I was 6 (Now 45) and last year for the very first time picked up a newly aquired 6 weight 7 foot fly rod outfit (for which I paid £60 - rod, reel+spare spool, 2x fly lines, backing, leaders, 100 flys wet & dry, landing net, priest & holdall) and strolled down a small river that runs into the Lune.

After ten minutes practice casting I braved the rippling stream before me and after half a dozen casts with a dry fly on a #6WF line landed a cracking twelve inch wild brownie.

I'M HOOKED!!!

I have since aquired some chest waders which means I can fish every inch of this river and had a great first season. I have to say that being self-taught I am aware that my casting could be better and will probably treat myself to some casting tuition this year, for the record I deliberately chose a seven foot rod as the river I fish has many overhanging trees and is only 25 feet wide at most so I don't need to cast very far, and a six weight because there are sea trout and salmon in the river so when the time is right I can step up my tippet and go after the bigger stuff which I hope to get into this year (I had a three pound fresh run Sea Trout on my spinning rod right at the end of September).

Welcome to the board Laney. Enjoy it here, plenty of free advice given when asked for.

Great to get into a new/different form of fishing aint it. :)

As a fairly newcomer to the fly myself it is the possible reason for fly fishing to be taking the driving seat at the moment.

One thing I do miss is river fishing in any form so I do envy you on that part of fishing.

Tight lines

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning