The ultimate (pole) float

Kappa

Easy solution especially if you want to see the bands on the float is to use a light beam across the water but obviously not entering the water. Used to be a common practice many years ago and one which I still on occassion use today. Fluorescent paint especially orange over a white background for the bands on the float works well as it also does on a quiver tip.

Easy solution especially if you want to see the bands on the float is to use a light beam across the water but obviously not entering the water. Used to be a common practice many years ago and one which I still on occassion use today. Fluorescent paint especially orange over a white background for the bands on the float works well as it also does on a quiver tip.

We used to do that when i was a kid but it cost a bomb in batteries

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

I used to use a suitable size waggler , say 3bb , slide a suitable length of silicone sleeving ( say 30-40 mm.) to cover the top of the float ( 15-20 mm) deep and then using a 30 mm isoptope , wet it and then insert into the remaining 15-20mm . Remember , if the float is dotted down far enough the isoptope will be touching the water(silicone is under water ) the length will appear double , due to the reflection and hence bites will appear twice as fast . Conversely , if the silicone is proud of the surface you will appear to have two isoptopes one above the other with a small seperation but bites again will be in double quick time . Adapt this method to suit yourself.

Having done a lot of this type of angling:

One, use a small waggler not a pole float - it will get damaged in the net.

Two, paint an inch of the tip white, isotopes work but play tricks on your eyes, there is no way you will see any bands whatsoever at night. Shot float to you can just see it.

Three, lay an led torch on low power on ground or clip it to a bank stand using a handlebar adaptor. It does not make any difference if light hits water, the moon does as does light mfrom stars, as long as light does not move around I have found it works fine.

Four, increase your line strength and hooklenghts - fish can't see them at night.

Most bites are unmissable and you will get amongst the big fish of all species which will fight hard.

Five, fish bigger hooks and baits so they can find it. My favourite at night is a big lump of paste over a good helping of pellets.

Six, keep all tackle organised, I keep everything in a fox rover bag/bucket, the only things on bank are bait box, bag, torch, net, mat, chair (not always) and me, me having a headtorch on head at all times and a spare torch in bag.

Seven, Use a specimen/Avon rod as fights are at short range and usually very savage, you need fish under control at all times and bullying will be required, remember you can't see snags etc in the dark.

Eight - enjoy!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!