Dry Suit Or Dry Cag/dry Trousers?

Moonyaker

I have been pondering as to whether to buy for the colder weather /colder water either:-

a) a Dry Suit or

B) a Dry Cag and Set of Dry Trousers.

and would prefer not to buy two sets of dry togs.

My conclusions to date are that:-

(i) from around £185 you can kit yourself out with either set of togs and so price is not the deciding factor,

(ii) I think that the DryCag/Trouser Combination may not be quite as dry a route potentially as a one piece dry suit. and

(iii) that a one piece dry suit could get overly warm when air temperatures are higher and thus the dry cag/dry trouser combination could be more flexible over a wider range of water and air temperatures

(I intend to get base wicking and fleece layers whichever way).

I am currently leaning on the direction of buying the Dry Cag/Dry Trouser Combination but would appreciate your comments as to whether this is a sensible conclusion or otherwise?

I'de really appreciate some assistance on matters if you're able and thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

I would go for the 2pc set up, you can then use the bottom half during the summer months with a T shirt etc. If you buy a 1pc you have just that and nothing to match the seasons. I have a 2pc set up and it works for me, bar the fact that one off the pugs has had a go at a leg and I now have a rip. Does anyone know a way of sealing cuts and tears????????

Hope the above helps, terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

The goretex dry suit I use is very lightweight and does not get overly hot. The plus side is I can wear it during the summer months (as long as you have light layers underneath) - you can also go in for a quick dip if you get too hot.

The minus side is that being of lightweight material you really have to layer up underneath during the colder months. I went out for a yak fish this morning wearing my farmer johns, polartec powerdry and polartec fleece undersuits and warmth wise I was ok when stationary. Obviously when paddling around generating heat I could get away with less. I wouldn't normally wear farmer johns underneath a dry suit and neoprene isn't high wicking material(quite the opposite!) but due to the cold weather I thought I'd put them on as well (after cutting a 'relief' hole in them first :D ).

Dry suits vary in the type of material they use and you may be able to get away with less underneath with another type of fabric. I would have thought that a dry suit or dry trouser/cag combo of the same material would have the same insulation properties when you're sealed in.

If you are doing lots of winter/cold water fishing the dry suit is probably the safest option as there will be no risk of seepage which you may get with a dry cag/trouser combo - however chances are you will be back on your yak pronto should you come off....

The trouser/cag combo is seen as being versatile - however to make the system work and be sealed in properly they need to be worn together. My brother has a dry cag and trousers. He briefly joined Zzippy and me for a fish this summer wearing dry trousers and no cag and he went in ... his trousers were obviously flooded :D I think the versatility of the cag/trouser combo comes when the cag can be worn for extra warmth on top of a wetsuit or farmer johns on warmer days which turn sour.

Ultimately the choice of dry suit or dry cag/trousers is down to personal preference and maybe price - either choice will be probably be better than a wetsuit.

For what its worth I'll be kitting my missus out with a dry cag and trousers (due to price and the fact that she won't be paddling alone in winter).

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

The goretex dry suit I use is very lightweight and does not get overly hot. The plus side is I can wear it during the summer months (as long as you have light layers underneath) - you can also go in for a quick dip if you get too hot.

The minus side is that being of lightweight material you really have to layer up underneath during the colder months. I went out for a yak fish this morning wearing my farmer johns, polartec powerdry and polartec fleece undersuits and warmth wise I was ok when stationary. Obviously when paddling around generating heat I could get away with less. I wouldn't normally wear farmer johns underneath a dry suit and neoprene isn't high wicking material(quite the opposite!) but due to the cold weather I thought I'd put them on as well (after cutting a 'relief' hole in them first :D ).

Dry suits vary in the type of material they use and you may be able to get away with less underneath with another type of fabric. I would have thought that a dry suit or dry trouser/cag combo of the same material would have the same insulation properties when you're sealed in.

If you are doing lots of winter/cold water fishing the dry suit is probably the safest option as there will be no risk of seepage which you may get with a dry cag/trouser combo - however chances are you will be back on your yak pronto should you come off....

The trouser/cag combo is seen as being versatile - however to make the system work and be sealed in properly they need to be worn together. My brother has a dry cag and trousers. He briefly joined Zzippy and me for a fish this summer wearing dry trousers and no cag and he went in ... his trousers were obviously flooded :D I think the versatility of the cag/trouser combo comes when the cag can be worn for extra warmth on top of a wetsuit or farmer johns on warmer days which turn sour.

Ultimately the choice of dry suit or dry cag/trousers is down to personal preference and maybe price - either choice will be probably be better than a wetsuit.

For what its worth I'll be kitting my missus out with a dry cag and trousers (due to price and the fact that she won't be paddling alone in winter).

Thanks Guys, just what I needed. Decision Made!

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Thanks Guys, just what I needed. Decision Made!

I've been using dry kit for over 10 years and the same question is raised by all.

It depends if your going to enter the water, above waist height, if not then go for split set up as its more variable in use - as small amounts of water will always get in around the waist

If you expect to get wet above waist height then go for a full suit, as this will keep you dry, but, get a water proof zip below the waist on the front - its much easier if you get caught short.

For both set up's, make sure the seals are the right size for you - don't compromise.

Chas