100lb French Carp?

Guest Josh Iddon

Do you think in the next 20-30 years France could have a carp over 100lb? And what do you think their top weight will be?

Interesting this. When I think back what 30 years or so when a 20lb carp was a dam good fish here in the uk and Dick Walkers carp was a one off, hence how long the record stood I don’t think any of us thought of 40lb over here. But now well we all know we have 40 and 50’s. So yes what with the high protein bait we use I think 100lb carp in France is possible, in fact sooner than we think.

I think 100lb French carp are on the cards in the not too distant future...say the next 5 years...or if not in france then somewhere on the continent. Another question is though what will be the ceiling on English carp? What with conningbrooks two tone still growing how long before the record is 70lb!!! Plus what are these fast growing simmonds fish going to reach as one( black spot in Monks pool down south somewhere..might even be the Isle of Wight...please feel free to correct me) has gone over 40lb in 7 years!!! :o Is this growth rate healthy I wonder? :wacko:

I think 100lb French carp are on the cards in the not too distant future...say the next 5 years...or if not in france then somewhere on the continent. Another question is though what will be the ceiling on English carp? What with conningbrooks two tone still growing how long before the record is 70lb!!! Plus what are these fast growing simmonds fish going to reach as one( black spot in Monks pool down south somewhere..might even be the Isle of Wight...please feel free to correct me) has gone over 40lb in 7 years!!! :o Is this growth rate healthy I wonder? :wacko:

Agree with the health concern, super fast growth rates could well carry greatly reduced lifespans & immunities. Did I read somewhere that one of those big I.O.M Simmo's had died, anyone know?

As for the 100lb Carp, it's a real possibility in my mind. The Europeans are constantly developing strains of Carp & these fish are now stocked all over europe, in climates that are eminently suitable for year round growth. Now that Carp fishing as a sport is well established throughout Europe, these fish are going to get the chance to hit that barrier. All they need is that fortunate situation where everything comes together ie rich lake, plentiful food, little pressure, good strain of Carp & finally decent weather!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

with the new strains i cant see a reason why the 100lb mark cant be reached in the next 10 years!

Another point. Carp were bred in Europe for food in fact I believe I am right in saying that’s why we have them in England they were introduced by the monks so they must have been a fast growing fish.

John, the carp originally that were supposed to have been brought over by monks were of the early original wildcarp form (which were ALL full-scaled common carp and not mirror/leather carp that normally ranged from 3lb-10lb, and very rarely a maximum of 20lb) and certainly not the later fast-growing strains produced by genetic manipulation and cross-breeding in carp farms across eastern Europe.

I have hooked and lost carp that I would estimate to be well over the world rod & line record, so there are the odd big ones out there. The 100lb+ mark is possible, but it is a lottery to ever actually catch one on rod & line, especially if there is only one such fish in any given major river system. Fish caught in nets are another matter and may be the first 100lb+ carp that we see. Two carp in excess of 92lb have already been caught (one in Yugoslavia and one in Greece) by professional netsman, so 8lb is not a lot further to go, especially if it is carrying extra eggs during time of capture.

GLOBETROTTER main website:

http://www.wildcarp.com

GLOBE'S GALLERY:

http://www.wilderness-photo.co.uk

New CARP 2006 CALENDAR:

http://www.pinkkipperpublishing.co.uk

EUROPEAN Website:

http://www.westerlaan-publisher.com

Im not sure if its true so feel free to correct me but i think the mirror carp where bred with less scales so it didnt take as long to take the scales of when cooking! (got that one of screming reels)

John, the carp originally that were supposed to have been brought over by monks were of the early original wildcarp form (which were ALL full-scaled common carp and not mirror/leather carp that normally ranged from 3lb-10lb, and very rarely a maximum of 20lb) and certainly not the later fast-growing strains produced by genetic manipulation and cross-breeding in carp farms across eastern Europe.

I have hooked and lost carp that I would estimate to be well over the world rod & line record, so there are the odd big ones out there. The 100lb+ mark is possible, but it is a lottery to ever actually catch one on rod & line, especially if there is only one such fish in any given major river system. Fish caught in nets are another matter and may be the first 100lb+ carp that we see. Two carp in excess of 92lb have already been caught (one in Yugoslavia and one in Greece) by professional netsman, so 8lb is not a lot further to go, especially if it is carrying extra eggs during time of capture.

Many Thanks for the info