A Day In Derby?

ginger

Help please, I am coming over to Derby this coming weekend and have been given dispensation to go fishing on Friday. The odd times I get to fish when over are usually spent at Butterley Res. although I have been to Higham Farm a time or two, however, I fancy a crack at a river and I would like to know if anyone can tell me where the day ticket stretches are these days on the Derwent or Trent. I don't want to spend half the day driving and then walking to a swim so somewhere with ajacent parking would be nice. I would add that My brother will coming along for some instruction and on the rare occasion when we get to fish together big money is at stake, £1 for the biggest/most fish being the norm. Last time we did Melbourne pool and he beat me with some nice bream so revenge is high on the priority list, A 6lb chub or large barbel would do nicely but it will probably come down to the most minnows. When I were a lad Bass's Rec and the below the weir at the River Gardens were favourites, we used to stand on the weir sill and fish ( must have been barking thenaday!). The most helpful suggestion, the one that enables me to win the money, could get you an invite to an unfished lake in Norfolk but more of that later.......

Pete

Don't know about Derby mate but just along the road is Beeston weir on the trent. Its day ticket and only a short walk from the car chub,barbel and the odd carp is on the cards. Fish the pegs just downstreamof the weir to the first bend.....i only fished it a few times but had barbel and chub out.....the carp are supposed to be in the slack water over from the first bend.

hope this helps.....oh and you can pay on the bank.

MMMMmmmm day ticket river stretches around derby !!! ,i'll rack my brains and see if i carn't think of someware thats not some clubs members only stretches,i can think of a couple of trent stretches but they're at long eaton/sawly (about 5 miles east of derby),as for the derwent theres always the upper reaches around matlock :

River Derwent

Derwent Hotel, Whatstandwell. Tel No 01773 856616 (on the A6)

On the corner of the bridge. This water is not of the first class; it is, however, available and inexpensive.or just around the corner is

Merebrook (caravan site). Tel No 0773 852154/857010

Coming back upstream towards Matlock, the turning for the site is a very sharp turn to the right. Fishing is free to campers and is heavily bombarded with coarse and sometimes crude fishing tactics. There are a couple of nice little runs at the top end of the fields, however, and one or two likely spots along it and at the bottom end of the site. It used to be a lot better than it is before the banks were reinforced and stoned about the time Carsington was under construction. Still not bad for the money!

Through Matlock Bath. Day tickets for coarse fishing available. Price (newsagent) Tel No 01629 582560 is near the Fishpond Hotel opposite the Visitors' Centre. The river is not suited to the fly rod, in any case, except some fast stuff backing onto the large car park on the bed upstream of the canoe launch point. The hotel, by the footbridge to Via Gelia Gardens, used to sell day tickets for a stretch of the river years ago, and may well do so now.

if i think of any more i'll post details

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

hello ginger!

forget the derwent stretches at whatstandwell weir and merebrook, i fished them a lot when i lived there and never had much joy. the club stretches are a little better in that area, but not much.

as lidoman says, beeston weir can be good

Thanks for that guys, I have fished at Whatstandwell next to the pub and never had much but that was over 20 years ago, how about meeting up sometime Chav for a session?

Beeston Weir sounds good Jon, I have found some more reports about it and all are good, any direction for finding it travelling from the old A52 through Borrowash towards Long Eaton. It is donkeys years since I went down that road and no matter where I venture in Derby it has all changed beyond recognition. How is it going darn sarf, lots of good fishing nearby I suspect.

Les, I have also had a look at the PADS link and will phone the Sec. tomorrow, keep that one in reserve for next time methinks. I will let you where and what when I get back, bring on the minnows!!!

ginger i'd love to,probably early next year as i'am buisy till jan.the stretch at Whatstandwell as had some barbel stocked there some time ago now most of which have most likely moved upstream,to get to the beeston weir ,goto spondon then head to borowash then when you exit borowash turn right and goto long eaton as you come to the town centre (the green) go strait on at the island past the bus stops and asda on your left over the bridge and towards totan then strait on again at the totan lights you'll pass chilwell buisness park keep going along the A6005 which will bring you too beeston (queens road/drive) you'll come to a cross road with major traffic lights there should be a big brown info sign and a sign to the train station turn right here follow this road all the way too the bottom (station road/meadow rd) till you come to a bridge which crosses the beaston canal,go over this bridge and turn right go down this pathway to the carpark.there is some changing rooms there and the lock-keepers house (behind here is the weir and a nice concrete slope the river goes downstream to your left,if you walk across the playing field to the bottom theres a gravel bank just after the bend .not fished it myself for a few years now.

you could ask at Derwent Tackle

2 Station Rd

Borrowash

Derbyshire DE72 3LG

Great Britain

01332-662379

turn right at crossroad just as you enter borrowash (signposted elvaston castle) then park as the shop is at the top of the road.

i known they sell season tickets for the earl of harrington waters (£20) that cover the stretch at borowash ,rainsway(derby),haslams lane(derby) and verious stretches of the derwent south of derby,they may sell daytickets for other stretches ?!.

the PAD stretch is great (they have fishing platforms) i've had the pleasure of fishing there,i've spent most of summer/Autumn fishing in the next field (drac stretch)theres plenty of barbel to double figures and loads of silver fish to floatfish for.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Once again, thanks to everyone, I expect my little brother will chip in with his twopennorth too as he is skulking around here somewhere probably looking for tips on how to catch bigger fish than his elder brother! The die has been cast, after talking to a very nice man from PADs who is going arrange for the gate to be unlocked at 7 on Friday morning we are going to give their stretch of the Trent at Barrow a go as it is literally ten minutes drive from Tony's house. He was fair wetting himself having seen their site and read about about huge chub and double figure barbel, we shall see but it looks nice and fishy and I will report on the session without too much gloating. Sorry not to have given you a mention in my last post Lidoman, I replied from memory and, like every other bit off me these days, it is failing too. Beeston Weir will receive our attention after Christmas.

All, Echoing my big bro's thanks to all for your help. Alas yet again I will have to deflate his ego and soundly thrash him by pulling out some monster chub and barbel. I look forward to reading gingers post and correcting any mistakes and also adding any missed bits of interest. Thanks especially to the PAD for there hospitality.

:D

"We will sit down and discuss it, then decide that I was right in the first place" Brian Clough the best england manager we NEVER had