Lure Fishing

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester, It is done the same way as normal lure fish and the major difference is when you are after them. The size of your leader and equipment will be different. The fish that was caught on the same water that my Pike came from in May was taken with a F-Zed Spoon while after Pike. It took the young man almost 2 hours to finally tire the fish out. He just followed it in the boat and worked it as much as he could with the gear that he had. The same type of Paddletail Shad lure will work for them also. When these fish are feeding, they will take whatever seems to be food or is noisey. They are territorial and also want to investigate anything unusual. Having one take a lure is a feeling of exhilaration. JMHO!!!!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

The French (er before they trashed the fishing) used lures a lot for cats.Spoons and big soft shads being the norm.In Spain they are regularly taken by Zander and Black Bass anglers by mistake.In the early days of the Ebro lure fishing was the method practiced by the origonal German anglers.I have only ever fished for them with large surface lures whilst they are "fry feeding" on 4lb carp! works well.Took a treble on a rod I built for the job the tip of which isnt far removed from a modern jerkbait rod in strength and action.Would certainly be worth a trip to Spain armed only with a lure rod. I only know of one being caught here in the UK on a lure though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

No Wels where I live but catching catfish on lures here is fairly common. I tend to have the most catfish action when slow rolling a safety pin style spinnerbait near the bottom. White or white/yellow combinations mostly.

Mine come when I'm tossing lures for bass.

Seems to match up well enough with what Budgie says so I decided to post it. Wels and the US catfish have lots of traits in common but some areas of difference.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Uncle Fester

I use a wychwood Sharpshooter Spin for small-medium lure fishing. It's 9ft long and a casting weight range of 30-60gm. It's a very light and stiff blank and has plenty of poke for setting the hooks at longer ranges. You can get them for about £40-50

Regards

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"