Towing A Kayak

SpeciMan

Next week I hope to be out yak fishing with Zzippy. I'm taking my trolling motor as backup - our fishing grounds may be a fair paddle from the launch point and we're coming off spring tides.

I was wondering if any us knew the best way to attach a tow rope to a kayak. I was thinking of clipping the front of the rope to a strong metal bracket on the back of my strong tankwell crate and clipping the end of the rope to the bow pull toggle on Zzippys kayak.

Any thoughts/tips on towing a yak are much appreciated.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Speciman.

Never tried it, but here is a bit of info worth reading.

Hope it helps.

http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/Safety/Towing.html

Have you tried out your trolling motor over any distance ?

Will it cope with the distance your planning on your trip, bearing in mind your going to tow another Kayak, or might need too.

Also have you tried the Caper in any sort of rough choppy stuff with your added fixtures and wieght?

As I remember you were close to the limmits of the capacity of the kayak with your add ons, batteries, motor, crate etc.

This added wieght will affect the performance of the caper,especialy if your towing and will test your paddling fitness too, should you run out of power.

So think hard about the distance your going, you say its a fair way off, with spring tides to boot.

Just be carful, and good luck.

YY

It may take the weigh, but if it had a snatch i.e. slack line I would have thought it could do some damage.

On my kayak I have put stainless steel pad eyes on bows and stern just for that purpose drilled into the deck and screwed into a block of hard wood on the inside

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Thanks for the replies and link.

I haven't tried it in the choppy stuff - I only take it out in calm conditions although as we know conditions can change. The fishing grounds aren't miles out to sea although they are a reasonable paddle along the coastline from the launch point & I want to save energy for fishing.

We'll end up fishing close to the shoreline within easy reach if laden down. I won't be using the livewell and all my kit including myself bait food etc comes to 255lb (rating for Caper is 275-325lb i think).

Do you think a section of bungee on the tow rope could reduce snatch?

****I should have read the linked page before posting this reply. The writer there uses a section of shock cord. Have also noted the use of a quick release clip. ****

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Just for the record, I tried towing a yak the other day. Zzippy was kind enough to volunteer :) Used a length of rope about 20ft with a section of bungee cord in case of 'snatch'. My 30lb thrust electric motor managed 2mph towing a laden yak against a moderate current; not bad for such a small motor. When we both paddled and ran the motor at the same time paddling was much easier and speed faster.

On my own and at the highest setting I averaged about 4mph (may do a bit more when not going against the current) although the Caper is not a fast yak to start with. Was in a bit of 'chop' at one stage and the Caper near the lower of the recommended weight capacity limit (275-325lbs) handled ok.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow