Eu Quotas Bring Modest Cod Cuts

Elton

Full story on the BBC site here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4551318.stm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Dont see any mention of the actual cod quota.

I dont know why they bother anyways. Too little too late.

For the last four years the scientists have said zero commercial cod catch in the North Sea.

For the last four years the politicians think otherwise even through they are supposed to be all working under the 'precautionary principle'

So in reality the politicians are praying that the scientists have got it wrong and they don't know what they are talking about - not the best environmental policy in the world is it?

I saw on the news that a box of Haddock is fetching £60 , double the price a year ago. So, fishermen are catching less, but earning more money.

What are they moaning about then?

Supply amd demand will push up the price, so everyone is happy except the end consumer, you and me.

No, the fishermen are not happy -because what they really want is the higher price AND the bigger quota and landings!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

All the politicians are interested in is not causing too many waves and upsetting their leaders. What they are proposing this year breaks THEIR OWN regulations.

Under the "Recovery Plan" Regulation (EC) 423/2004 Article 6 says that ".....The TACs shall not exceed a level of catches which a scientific evaluation has indicated will result in an increase of 30% in the numbers of mature fish in the sea at the end of the year of their application, compared to the numbers estimated to be in the sea at the start of that year...."

There is no scientific evaluation stating a 30% increase in stock over the year, because stocks are so low the scientists can't even estimate them by their usual sampling methods!

All the details are in now.

DEFRA Say ""The European Union's Fisheries Council has struck a deal on fishing quotas, balancing the needs of the fishing industry and the marine environment."

:rolleyes:

See: http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/index.php?view=460

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

All the details are in now.

DEFRA Say ""The European Union's Fisheries Council has struck a deal on fishing quotas, balancing the needs of the fishing industry and the marine environment."

:rolleyes:

See: http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/index.php?view=460

Tight Lines - leon

Not very well balanced tho is it.

So the mouths in the nice suits are still too worried about scottish votes to listen to the clever men in the white jackets???

"Scientific advice issued in October recommended the suspension of all cod fishing in some areas.

But lobbying by the industry means it is likely to continue, despite the parlous state of some populations."

I just dont get it. If they continue to deplete the stocks further to the point that they are wiped out then we all lose. We spend millions of public money to commission scientists to come up with recommendations only for our elected members to totally ignore and disregard the evidence collated. Its a crazy world we live in and I can only hope that politicians will wake up soon to the realities of the facts presented and act accordingly. These descisions benefit no one in the long term.