Back casting rod.

Geoff_Jubb

Geoff: quote:- Tel, do you use yours with a fixed spool down the butt and only a few rings up the top?

Be a bit careful on the "few rings up the top". All the line guides are there to evenly distribute the load along the length of the blank. Use only a few at the top and you run the risk of a problem. There was a perfect example yesterday on Discovery Real Time when an Aussie angler tried to haul a 7kg fish up a rock outcrop using his favourite surf rod "adapted" for the purpose with a few top guides. Even an Anubis aint desgned for that. End result was the nice two section rod suddenly became a five section rod. Blank distribution was no longer there, stress was all on the tip, and hey presto! a travel rod.

lol! I wouldn't mind seeing that.

It had been suggested to me that you leave a large gap between reel and first ring to spread the coils of line as they come off the fixed spool.

Sorry to keep picking your brain Stan, but what would you suggest as the maximum distance between reel and first ring, and how many rings would you recommend as a minimum (just roughly if you can, and i won't quote you on it!)

Cheers! :D

Backcasting is my favorite style for hitting max distances. Three hook rigs 8oz lead at long range against the wind, no problem.

You need the right rod, 14ft min such as a Zziplex Quattra, or B14 will do a good job, also a few others. Backcasting can generate immense power into a rod, so you need one that can take the power. Other things you need is 80lb leader line, less then that and it can snap. Unlike the Pendulum where 50-60lb will do as this style require less power.

The ideal chap to get in touch with is "Dave Vicary" he is the champ at this style. You can find him at Anglia Sportscast, Bircham.

Also he will give you all the lessons you need and rods suitable for the job to try.

Another top Backcaster is Deano, AKA..Gut Cast, or Terry, both always willing to share good advice or give demo's/Lessons.

Backcasting can be dangerous if your not familiar with the style, also can inflict body problems such as Hernia or ruptured guts, most casters wear a support belt, so take it easy if you try it.

Backcasting is my favorite style for hitting max distances. Three hook rigs 8oz lead at long range against the wind, no problem.

You need the right rod, 14ft min such as a Zziplex Quattra, or B14 will do a good job, also a few others. Backcasting can generate immense power into a rod, so you need one that can take the power. Other things you need is 80lb leader line, less then that and it can snap. Unlike the Pendulum where 50-60lb will do as this style require less power.

The ideal chap to get in touch with is "Dave Vicary" he is the champ at this style. You can find him at Anglia Sportscast, Bircham.

Also he will give you all the lessons you need and rods suitable for the job to try.

Another top Backcaster is Deano, AKA..Gut Cast, or Terry, both always willing to share good advice or give demo's/Lessons.

Backcasting can be dangerous if your not familiar with the style, also can inflict body problems such as Hernia or ruptured guts, most casters wear a support belt, so take it easy if you try it.

Ideally i'd love one of them, but as i would only use the rod occasionally (high winds, big seas) I can't justify a new one, and they are a bugger to find second hand.

Thats why I thought of altering an axelleratoras they are 100 pounds new.

I will take on all you have said regarding safety, but will probally not be able to get casting lessons as I live in the North East, and from what I can gather it is not a popular style up here.

Thanks for your help! :)

Geoff: "ol! I wouldn't mind seeing that.

It had been suggested to me that you leave a large gap between reel and first ring to spread the coils of line as they come off the fixed spool.

Sorry to keep picking your brain Stan, but what would you suggest as the maximum distance between reel and first ring, and how many rings would you recommend as a minimum (just roughly if you can, and i won't quote you on it!)

Cheers! "

You can get away with a fair variation on distance depending on rod. I`m not familiar with the one your thinking of but a reasonable bet would be in the region of 30 - 35inches. You can also increase the diameter of the first (butt) guide to next size up. If its a 25mm use a 30 or 40mm to act as a coil breaker but the actual breaking of the line coils is a combination of the "cone" effect of all the guides acting together, i.e they form a cone viewed from the butt guide to the tip guide and allow the line coils to be dampened sequentially as the line goes out. You can also re-reing and use Fuji`s new guide concept system. Put the rod, with reel attached, along the edge of a table or bench. Centre of the reel spool on the edge of the bench and tip guide on the edge of the bench. The rod will then obviously be lying at an angle to the bench edge. Decide on your spacing and guide size and position each guide, dinishing in diameter along the edge. Each guide centre should be also on the bench edge. Sorry, a lot easier to show and do than to describe. PM if you want any more info with your ring dimensions, rod length etc and I can give you a ringing set up for back casting.

Never easy to describe that one Stan.

Edit: forgot part of your question. Minimum number of guides for a 12ft rod would be 5-7 for fixed spool. (7 better)

Edited by stan4massey