badger baitboat problem solving

kreid

Tried the newly arrived badger baitboat yesterday, just a dry run to try it out.Now luckily i didn't send it too far out,( maybe 30/40 yards max)and it went off ok , but started to slow down and only made it back at snails pace.....now i thought maybe i hadn't charged up the battery properly , but i had. The problem was the jet intake, it had sucked in a lot of weed pieces that were on / in the surface film, which had in turn psrially blocked it (its like a shower head, wee holes) hence the slowing down. Maybe if the boat was loaded it would push the intake lower into the water , but it still has to make it back empty !

Is there anything i could do here ?

PS should it be making an electricky bleeping sort of noise ? Thanks in advance , Keith.

One thing that I've seen done by a couple of guys fishing a longish session on one of my syndicate lakes, was to tie some 20lb ish B.S. line on to thier boat (spooled up to a reel of course and fitted to a stiff rod). When they had sent the boat out and tipped the baits and rig, they turned the boat around to face them and then instead of using the boats motor to return it, they reeled it in so saving on battery power.

I wonder if this could work for you when the boat has rissen in the water after depositing the bait. It may even be a good safety line (excuse the pun) just in case of a malfunction anyway. I have not used the method myself on my bait boat.

They were using a bait runner reel by the way with the bait runner on, set to take line with little ressistance, but I can see ways of using an ordinary fixed spool reel for the same method

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Tried the newly arrived badger baitboat yesterday, just a dry run to try it out.Now luckily i didn't send it too far out,( maybe 30/40 yards max)and it went off ok , but started to slow down and only made it back at snails pace.....now i thought maybe i hadn't charged up the battery properly , but i had. The problem was the jet intake, it had sucked in a lot of weed pieces that were on / in the surface film, which had in turn psrially blocked it (its like a shower head, wee holes) hence the slowing down. Maybe if the boat was loaded it would push the intake lower into the water , but it still has to make it back empty !

Is there anything i could do here ?

PS should it be making an electricky bleeping sort of noise ? Thanks in advance , Keith.

Ive heard that Angling Technics, is to develop a hover bait boat, thus eliminating this problem. This weed fouling has been a major problem on some waters, so a hover is the way ahead with bait boat technology. Actually I can see that hover bait boat racing, amongst fellow carpers will be more of an attraction than carp fishing :D

Would have thought that an obvious route was to develop a boat with a fan drive. This could be a deck mounted turbine rather than a prop. Either way the hull could then be snag free. The noise of a model hoverctaft big enough to carry a worthwhile load would, surely, be intollerable. The next development will probably then be scaled down Exocets.

Would have thought that an obvious route was to develop a boat with a fan drive. This could be a deck mounted turbine rather than a prop. Either way the hull could then be snag free. The noise of a model hoverctaft big enough to carry a worthwhile load would, surely, be intollerable. The next development will probably then be scaled down Exocets.

Yes thats it :idea:Excocet Spods :thumbs:

• 6 years later...
One thing that I've seen done by a couple of guys fishing a longish session on one of my syndicate lakes, was to tie some 20lb ish B.S. line on to thier boat (spooled up to a reel of course and fitted to a stiff rod). When they had sent the boat out and tipped the baits and rig, they turned the boat around to face them and then instead of using the boats motor to return it, they reeled it in so saving on battery power.

I wonder if this could work for you when the boat has rissen in the water after depositing the bait. It may even be a good safety line (excuse the pun) just in case of a malfunction anyway. I have not used the method myself on my bait boat.

They were using a bait runner reel by the way with the bait runner on, set to take line with little ressistance, but I can see ways of using an ordinary fixed spool reel for the same method

Hi

I am new to the forum, i repair baitboats and a lot of people are having the same problem, many of my customers have asked me to make an extra cage to fit around the pump intake, i have done this and it has solved the problem with getting stuck on lilly pads, and sucking weeds into the impeller. etc, when the pump housing catches a lilly pad the small holes get blocked and does not allow the boat to suck water into the impeller thus boat not moving. remove the pump cover. If you get a splash guard for a saucepan this has a very fine mesh(available from any pound shop). Cut this into a round shape 25mm larger than the pump housing, leave three legths of mesh around 30mm long where the holes are in the pump housing, bend them over and make a hole for the screws of the housing to go through, place this over the housing and bend to shape, if you do this right it should sit over the original housing and you will never get stuck again. Hope this has helped. steve :D

Hi the electric bleeping noise, is just the motor, does this only happen when you go forward with the boat, iff so put the boat on a level surface, push forward on the throttle and keep it there, whilst the motor is running at full speed spray a small amount of wd40 through the ventilation hole in the side of the motor this will quieten the motor down, keep the motor running for about 1 minute and you will hesr the difference, it will be a lot quieter and a lot more responsive.

Cheers

Steve