Another eBay Scam in the making

Guest Jan V

I responded to an ad regarding listing/selling phones on eBay mainly because the company is located just a few miles from here. Here's the response to the original ad:

Hello,

We employ people in Charlotte, NC and elsewhere to list new and used cell phones for us. Basically you set up a seller's account and find something around the house you no longer need (maybe an old cell phone or cd or whatever) and then you test the waters to see if you might enjoy it. Later we'll send you some phone descriptions (or the phones themselves) and you will sell them on ebay for us. Once you have received payment (through paypal or money order) you then deduct $5.00 per phone as your commission and all ebay/paypal seller fees, and you forward the balance to us. In a few days you'll be able to list over seven phones per hour (which should work out to $35 per hour) using the "Sell Similar" option which transfers item descriptions from one item to the next. Some samples of current successful cell phone businesses on ebay are phonestoreusa and sells4you--you can view these stores by going to the far right column of the ebay site map and clicking on "Find a Member". If you want, we can send you the phones you'll sell, but then you will also need to go to the post office twice a week (buyer pays for shipping) OR we will handle all the shipping, it's up to you. We also offer a seven day warranty on all our phones. If you want we can start with several phones to test the waters, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards, Steve Andrews704-492-7921http://usedcell.white.prohosting.com

OKAY, so I discuss this with Newt. If there is no out-of-pocket for us, what's to lose? A few minutes ago the phone rings (no one calls this Vail household before noon on a Saturday). This guy wants to know when I can start. My question - since I have no control over what is being shipped or the quality I see my eBay feedback taking a possible (probable) nose dive. He says that's the risk any seller takes. NEXT QUESTION from him; "Do I have an ATM card connected to my PayPal account". I ask him why. He just sold someone a TV for $1300 and the buyer wants the TV today. Since PayPal takes about 3 days to transfer funds into his checking account, he has a problem and needs me to use my PayPal and advance him the money via my ATM card. He wasn't Nigerian (see other eBay scam thread) but that's one person who won't be hearing from us any time soon!!!!!

Edited by Jan V

I responded to an ad regarding listing/selling phones on eBay mainly because the company is located just a few miles from here. Here's the response to the original ad:

Hello,

We employ people in Charlotte, NC and elsewhere to list new and used cell phones for us. Basically you set up a seller's account and find something around the house you no longer need (maybe an old cell phone or cd or whatever) and then you test the waters to see if you might enjoy it. Later we'll send you some phone descriptions (or the phones themselves) and you will sell them on ebay for us. Once you have received payment (through paypal or money order) you then deduct $5.00 per phone as your commission and all ebay/paypal seller fees, and you forward the balance to us. In a few days you'll be able to list over seven phones per hour (which should work out to $35 per hour) using the "Sell Similar" option which transfers item descriptions from one item to the next. Some samples of current successful cell phone businesses on ebay are phonestoreusa and sells4you--you can view these stores by going to the far right column of the ebay site map and clicking on "Find a Member". If you want, we can send you the phones you'll sell, but then you will also need to go to the post office twice a week (buyer pays for shipping) OR we will handle all the shipping, it's up to you. We also offer a seven day warranty on all our phones. If you want we can start with several phones to test the waters, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards, Steve Andrews704-492-7921http://usedcell.white.prohosting.com

OKAY, so I discuss this with Newt. If there is no out-of-pocket for us, what's to lose? A few minutes ago the phone rings (no one calls this Vail household before noon on a Saturday). This guy wants to know when I can start. My question - since I have no control over what is being shipped or the quality I see my eBay feedback taking a possible (probable) nose dive. He says that's the risk any seller takes. NEXT QUESTION from him; "Do I have an ATM card connected to my PayPal account". I ask him why. He just sold someone a TV for $1300 and the buyer wants the TV today. Since PayPal takes about 3 days to transfer funds into his checking account, he has a problem and needs me to use my PayPal and advance him the money via my ATM card. He wasn't Nigerian (see other eBay scam thread) but that's one person who won't be hearing from us any time soon!!!!!

Some things are JUST too good to be true are they not?? But besides anything else Jan I would at least forward the message to eBay with a brief message for what it is worth!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Some things are JUST too good to be true are they not?? But besides anything else Jan I would at least forward the message to eBay with a brief message for what it is worth!!

Good idea Chris. Will do that.

Looks like a variation on one of the Nigerian scams - we are a company and need a rep in your area. And think about it, if you did start "selling" the phones, when the buyer doesn't get their phone, who do they report to the police? You.

Edited by dunc85

Looks like a variation on one of the Nigerian scams - we are a company and need a rep in your area. And think about it, if you did start "selling" the phones, when the buyer doesn't get their phone, who do they report to the police? You.

There is an address listed for where these folks are supposedly located in the Charlotte area. It's tempting to drive down there and see where this place is. But at the price of gas we aren't going to waste the gas or our time. Besides, we're celebrating our wedding anniversary today and this definitely isn't a part of the activities.

Guest sandpipper

Jan here in the uk we have a phone number 1471 to see if the last caller witheld their number, or with british telecom we can phone for a call log to see if he was trying hide to his id,we have a block on anyone who doesnt show there number.

I dont want to scare you but youve responded to him he now nows a little bit about you now, your name your phone number your email address your ip address, it wont take much to find out your adddress. If he is a scammer keep an eye on your bank account for a bit and be carfull about what bills and recepts you throw in your dustbins (to you trashcan).Tony

Jan here in the uk we have a phone number 1471 to see if the last caller witheld their number, or with british telecom we can phone for a call log to see if he was trying hide to his id,we have a block on anyone who doesnt show there number.

I dont want to scare you but youve responded to him he now nows a little bit about you now, your name your phone number your email address your ip address, it wont take much to find out your adddress. If he is a scammer keep an eye on your bank account for a bit and be carfull about what bills and recepts you throw in your dustbins (to you trashcan).Tony

Thanks for the heads up Tony. I have online banking set up for all of our accounts and not being a trusting soul I check it a number of times each day. Do the same with credit cards AND will now also start watching my PayPal account and my eBay activity. His phone# and business name, "EMERCHANTS", came up on my caller ID and that has already been notated. I'm also going to report the guy to the "Work from home" website I got his info from. They try to remain reputable and I think his ads will soon be a thing of the past. I've always been taught 2 things: 1) Don't get mad - get even and 2)This is a war AND I don't take prisoners!

Edited by Jan V

we have a block on anyone who doesn't show there number

You'd never get a call from me or my family then Sandpipper! Ever since the facility to forward callers' numbers came into being I have had all our phones prevented from sending them. Landlines are done at the exchange and mobile phones are done with the menu. I have no good reason to wish to give our numbers out when calling some-one.

Guest sandpipper

Hi lid, i think i must have come across wrong. What i mean is if say you put 171 to stop your munber being given out you could not ring me you will just get a message saying i wont eccept phone calls from phones with there number with held. I got fed up with people ringing then hanging up id dial 1471 and all id get is sorry number with held. Tony