Okuma Helios

fishfinder

I've been offered an Okuma Helios 7/8 fly reel with spare spool and 2 cortland 555 rocket taper lines for £110. Its been used once and is in perfect condition.

Would this be big enough for use with 8/9 lines (it holds a 7 weight line and 150 yards of backing).

I really wanted the 8/9 size reel, but at this price it seems too good to miss!

Fishfinder - you have £70 of lines in that deal. The spool has got to be another £25 worth. Do the sums - it seems a good deal to me too!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I agree that its a great deal (spools are abou £50, I think), but I was just a bit worried that its too small at 7/8 rather than the largest size which is 8/9.

Is 7/8 ok - will I have enough backing on there?

Is 7/8 ok - will I have enough backing on there?

As yet - I've never had any U.K fish take more than about 50 yards of backing. More often than not most Bass rarely even make it to the backing!

Unless you are after Tuna, you won't need more than 100yards of backing. The rest is just reassurance!

Edited by Stevo

I've just splashed out and paid for the reel. it's coming from America (I saw it initially on Ebay, but it didn't sell, so I made the seller an offer he obviously couldn't refuse!).

Just a case of waiting now.

I already have some 8 weight lines (Scierra Avalanche sinking and Aquatip floating - green body and clear head). Is the Cortland 555 Rocket taper a good line - I might as well sell one set of lines. can anyone suggest whether I should kee p the Scierra lines or the Cortland 555's?

Also, has anyone heard of "Jim Teeny" fly lines? he's also included an 8 wt "Jim Teeny Sinking Line & backing".

The only line I haven't got is an intermediate - is there any point in buying an intermediate, or are floating and sinking lines enough. If I need one, can anyone recommend a decent intermediate line?

First make sure that none of the lines coming out from the States are tropical lines - If they are, sell them off as quick as you can. (Unless you are planing a trip to the tropics soon - Kent doesn’t count BTW)

Cortland 444 lines are good, (555's don't seem to have a good reputation). The 444 Intermediate (blue) is a good budget line and can be sourced here http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/

Jim Teeny lines have a good reputation and he makes some fine lines - he sinkers are cracking.

But then again what the hell do I know anyway.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

Apparently its a Cortland 555 Rocket Taper with Dynatip (?), and its not one of those lines specifically for tropical saltwater use. The Sinker has a faster sinking tip (3ft per second).

• 2 weeks later...