catfish and carp

marmiteboy

hi there me an my dad are new to carp fishing so we dont know that much we know all the basics (bolt rigs,hair rigs,)but we can only manage carp up to 13lb .My dads mate goes to shatterford lakes a lot and there are carp and catfish in it we were wondering what we are best off taking tackle and bait wise

what bait do catfish like and what rigs are we best off using to catch are first cat

what bait do carp like and what rigs are we best off using to catch a 20 pound plus carp

Learn to walk before you try and run. Not quite the right way to ask for advice.

[what bait do catfish like and what rigs are we best off using to catch are first cat

what bait do carp like and what rigs are we best off using to catch a 20 pound plus carp

Hi marmiteboy.

Never been for catfish before so not to sure. If your going to fish for them, the carp tackle you have might not be up to the task as catfish are much more powerfull than carp. As for bait, halibut pellets, squid, deadbaits or any fish based boilies should do but make sure you check for any bait bans on the water your fishing.

As for the carp, you could catch a 5lb carp on the same rig and bait that would catch you a 20. Try and keep it simple to start with, buy some carp mags and have a good read of them as these will explain what rigs to use for differant situations.

As lilypad said, dont run, take your time and you will start to learn. At the end of the day we are all still learning!

John.

Carp rods are fine for cats in the UK. As for baits that varies with waters but squid, liver, boilies, pellets, dead and live baits will all catch cats.

Carp of pretty much all sizes eat the same baits. The trick for bigger fish is to catch lots of little ones first and wade through them - simply there's no short cut. The only possible alternative is to stalk the fish and target the bigger ones.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

Guest Josh Iddon

Personally I would keep on with the 13lbers and the bigger will come when you are ready. My first 'big' carp came when I didnt know much, It was nearly 3 times the size of anything I had caught before, It was a very 'scary' time because I had no experiance of fish of this calibre, I didnt know what to do or anything, lucky enough There was experianced help on hand and it all went fine. Josh :)

Since you have worked out baits and rigs that catch carp, the main trick to catching larger ones is to fish where they are.

It may seem obvious but I'm always amazed at anglers who seem to expect a 30 from a water that doesn't have any or, at most, has only a very few.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Josh Iddon
Thanks for the replys i will take it slowly and hopefully i will catch some big fish

Now that I read over my post, I didnt meen to put you off or dent your confidence or anything mate, I just meen take it easy and be prepared- well you probably know what I meen! :P

Good luck :thumbs:, and let us know if you catch. Josh :)