marker float

tonyfisher

Guest Josh Iddon

A feeder rod would be pretty naff to be honest make. The whole idea of a marker rod is that it has a quite stiff tip so that you can feel around what is on the lake bed, gravel,silt,weed ect. Though with a feeder rod the tip is responsive and really soft and would hardley pick up and vibrations through the tip of the rod.

Much better off to use a normal carp rod of even better a purpose made marker rod.

If you are looking to just use the marker as a 'marker' and not use it for depth finding and feature finding then do what I do- If you are using PVA bags then put a couple of fluro pop ups in the bag cast out wait for the bag to dissove and look for the pop ups and fire you bait out. This only really works for short range and catapult work though, A spod can be used but only a couple of times because the disturbance causes the pop ups to drift. Josh :)

A feeder rod would be pretty naff to be honest make. The whole idea of a marker rod is that it has a quite stiff tip so that you can feel around what is on the lake bed, gravel,silt,weed ect. Though with a feeder rod the tip is responsive and really soft and would hardley pick up and vibrations through the tip of the rod.

Much better off to use a normal carp rod of even better a purpose made marker rod.

If you are looking to just use the marker as a 'marker' and not use it for depth finding and feature finding then do what I do- If you are using PVA bags then put a couple of fluro pop ups in the bag cast out wait for the bag to dissove and look for the pop ups and fire you bait out. This only really works for short range and catapult work though, A spod can be used but only a couple of times because the disturbance causes the pop ups to drift. Josh :)

thinking of using it for both bottom layout and marker for bait boat

I'm pretty sure Gaffer or Julian has an article on here on the very topic. Far simpler than me re-writing what they've done - and they have pictures ! Go to articles or authors on the main page and scroll through them, that should tell you exactly what you're looking for.

Rob.

Be careful with the pop-up method though. There are some nasty diving birds (coots e.g.) that will also mark that area as a source of food. :headhurt:

whats best way too use it as i never used 1 before can u also use it on feeder rod :unsure:

Hi Tony

I've PM'd you a link to a video tutorial on our website I shot with Shaun Harrison... not sure I'm allowed to post it on the open forum. He explains in detail how to set up a marker and how to use it as well as how to spod to it...

hope it helps

Regards

Gareth

Rob's right - read here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/gaffer01.htm

and here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/julian15.htm

Gareth - feel free to post that link, mate. Nice one.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Rob's right - read here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/gaffer01.htm

and here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/julian15.htm

Gareth - feel free to post that link, mate. Nice one.

Tight lines,

Elton

Thanks Elton

http://www.anglinglines.com/docs/tackletactics/index.html

Two clips... plus one on spodding and the infamous catfish one where we see a well known angler kissing a catfish...Parental guidance necessary here I affraid..LOL

Gareth

I'm yet to use a Marker float ,made plenty of under water maps using it as a feature finder but never as a actual marker flot think my fishing could benifort from it though but i have a few questions first....

Doesn't the heavy duty braid spook the fish ,esp in the winter i see it a bit strange that we use Fluro Carbon hook links ,low diameter lines etc etc as to not spook the fish away but next to your bait is a massive braided line???Also ware do people position there Marker rod when fishing?Is it next to your rod???Further down the bank?

Or do i have it complete wrong and once you have casted your baited rod out you pull your marker rod in ,and repeat on every fish ???

Guest Josh Iddon
Be careful with the pop-up method though. There are some nasty diving birds (coots e.g.) that will also mark that area as a source of food. :headhurt:

Cheers for that mate, good advice. Josh :)