positivity

maximo

how much does a positive mind set influence catch rates.

some lads i know are very upbeat and have a i am going to catch not if i catch mindset.i used to be in the latter especially in matches which i didnt really like.

i used to put myself on a downer well before the match but changed my attitude to one of ok its a rubbish match ,but what can be caught and started to look forward to it.

so how much do you think it affects fishing.

Guest jay_con

There is a lot to be said about that Max. I fished a match on wed night (yorkshire fours semi finals) I think I beat myself before I even started. We fished a scarborough team who had never been beaten since they started fishing this comp. All four team members have fished the penn sea league finals and the lad I fished had made the finals in more than 1 year. I think I had too much respect for my opnent. He beat me with 2 fish for 13 pound Whilst I blanked (I did miss 3 bites). The place i took him is a place I regullaly catch from.

As I say I beat myself, I buggered me casts up, cast in the wrong place and missed bites I should of had. On another night I would definately Have caught 1 of the fish he caught and perhaps got a couple from the other bites.

I did email a few of the top anglers about psychology and all admitted a positive mindset is essential. I think the more you fish an area the more confidence u get there and that confidence boosts your positive mindset in return you catch more there, Kind of a positive cycle of psychology. I fish a lot of places now and am surrounded by anglers who are doing things pretty much the same way, but some how I often catch more than them. is this because im positive?

Someone who told me a little about positive thinking is diabolis who visits this forum. No doubt he will read this and make a comment

yes you can definitely give top anglers too much respect winter some of them deserve it but others do not its all down to how they treat others to me.

but one thing they have in common is the positive mindset.

i know a couple of lads whove fished for their countries and these are always trying on the beach right up till the last second and arent beaten till the end.whereas some tend to drift if things dont go right and start to flap i know ive been there.

Always think and be positive.

Confidence plays a big role in life along with determination and the will to win.

My attitude is to be relaxed, everyone has as much chance of winning a match as the next man/woman.

keep a bait in the water, never panic, watch others, and be prepared to quickly change tactics. Speed is important in matches, so keep everything simple.

I agree about a positive attitude, although I don't hold with so called 'match ' fishing. Fishing just to win money or prizes is not ethical. However, to get back to a positive attitude, I think you tend to check bait more, watch the rod more closely, put the bait on properly, if you are in a positive state of mind, and these things increase your chances of catching fish. I always expect to catch something, even after two hours or more without a bite.

A positive approach is a winning approach, both in fishing and life. Match fishing is a good way to learn how to improve your fishing and how to assert yourself, in the nicest possible way The chap, or chapess, who wins the match has generally put in a lot of hard graft, time and money to get to that position, with a rub of the green, tactics, the right bait selection and a good peg all being important.

In competition I would say it is about winning and the respect and rewards that brings, money and prizes are often incidental. I enjoy competitive fishing, perceiving this discipline as a challenging learning curve, I often go home to "think again"; I do not think match fishing is unethical, the competitive instinct is seen in all walks of life, in many pastimes and recreations, and is mostly healthy. You only become unethical if you break the rules. Gamesmanship can be a grey area

mp i dont really agree about anyone in the match having the same chance if thats true how comes the same old faces turn up all the time.

but the better you become at angling the more respect you get which again makes you more positive.the more quality anglers you know the more info you get the better you become which again improves confidence.

even top matchmen must doubt themselves on unknown territory but some of them will fish the same circuit year after year where they are familiar with the venues.

but then again they usually have a contact for the unknown.

Maximo, thats because the same old faces turn up at every match, the have gained confidence, they are feeling good and take positive action with a view to win again, and the more you win the better you get known. Those that only turn up a few times without a win or a place soon become demoralised, they fear their chances, they think they are inferior and don't have a chance against the top guys. This is rubbish and as long as you turn up at a match, got the right baits, drew the right peg, done your homework on the venue,fish with pure concentration and speed, keep your baits in the water, fish without making any mistakes,and have plenty of luck, then you have as much chance as any of the top ranked boys, who are only anglers, not gods.