Help required by a newbie!

UV Lee

Hello people

I'm lucky enough to have access to a private lake, belonging to my grandparents. I am looking to stock the lake with a few more coarse fish. It already contains a large head of Roach and Rudd, and a fairly large head of Common Carp up to the 20lb mark, plus the odd renegade Rainbow and Brown trout. . But before I do, I've got 2 problems that I could do with some advice and assistance on if possible!

Problem 1 - The Roach and Rudd that I have caught from the lake have black 'spots' on them. These spots are no bigger that a pinhead at the most, and they don't seem to be affected, ie - they're breeding normally, not dying, and all appear perfectly healthy. I'd just like to know what this is :wallbash: , so if anyone has an idea please get in touch!

Problem 2 - I would like to stock the lake with a few Ghost Carp, Tench, Golden Orfe, and possibly a few Grass Carp (there is quite a lot of weed growth in the summer). I just don't know what would be a good number of each species to introduce! I'd also like to introduce a few perch to keep control of the rabbit-like roach and rudd.

The lake is about 1 acre in size, and depth ranges from 1 to 6 feet. Any info at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ps - We already have the relative licenses needed to stock the fish.

All work and no beer make UV go crazy...

Hi Lee,

Welcome.

I think this may be out of the knowledge range of most of us here, as 1 acre is approaching 'fishery' size.

I would certainly address the health of the current population before adding any new stock. Even from my limited knowledge af pond and tank fish, I know that a resident stock can often become immune to diseases that wipe out new introductions almost immediately.

It would be worth you contacting the EA, as they will be able to advise, and also Bruno Broughton; http://www.bruno-broughton.co.uk/

Bruno used to post here, but I was chatting with him the other day and he is just so busy that he doesn't have time to follow the threads these days.

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thanks for your help Elton :D

I'll get in touch with the EA and see what they have to say on it. If anyone else has any suggestions then please let me know!

Just spoke to a guy from the national fisheries laboratory and the roach have blackspot. So panic over! :yeah:

If anybody would be interested in a days fishing at the pond get in touch! Like I said before, there are Common Carp in there up to around 20lb, and a good head of Roach too. And you'll be the only person fishing there, because I'll take you myself :D

UV_Lee@yahoo.com is my email address. Cheers!

We already have the relative licenses needed to stock the fish.

I was under the impression that the fish being purchased had to have sec 30 permission? Not the fish already stocked. I might have read it wrong but a s suggested get in touch with the EA they are the ones who issue sec. 30's

Edited by grumpybum