Mahseer & Carp in north India- info

roti

:help: hi, i'm going fishing for mahseer round Dehra Dun and carp on Dal lake in Kashmir and wondered if any body had any info about this and getting licences and permits? Tried getting on a guided trip but all places where full so going on my own and going blind! Any info gratefully recieved!!! Cheers Roti

I've not been to Kashmir, so cannot comment on that.

As for Dehra Dun, I would have thought you need to be higher up the Ganges than that. The main area is North of Rishikesh at the confluence of two rivers (the name of the second escapes me).

If you put mahseer, john bailey and ganges into Google, you should come up with his article about fishing that area.

Was the tour organised by Misty Dhillon?

If so, there is a bit about the exact spot on his company's website

himalayanoutback.com

As for the permit situation, I'm not really sure, but would have thought the fishing is not strictly controlled there.

Good luck,

Steve

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

Just thinking further:

You could try Corbett National Park, plenty of accommodation and fishing on the Kosi River for mahseer. Tried it myself, but a combination of circumstances meant I didn't get to fish, or stay.

You need to have plenty of rups with you to pay bills, and stay as far into the park as poss.

Train from Delhi to Ramnagar, then rickshaw to the park.

Enjoy,

Steve

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

:help: hi, i'm going fishing for mahseer round Dehra Dun and carp on Dal lake in Kashmir and wondered if any body had any info about this and getting licences and permits? Tried getting on a guided trip but all places where full so going on my own and going blind! Any info gratefully recieved!!! Cheers Roti

Hey Roti,

Last season on the CuveryI met up with a guy who does some fishing in that area and is based in Dehra Dun. If I remember right he was the principal of some boarding school in DD. I'll search for his address and phone no, if I find it I'll PM it to you. The furtherest I've gone is central India (fishingwise), am very content with the Cauvery :P So I can't give you any 1st hand info on the areas you plan to fish.

Will ask around and try and provide you with some info.

Regards,

Indian Angler.

Just thinking further:

You could try Corbett National Park, plenty of accommodation and fishing on the Kosi River for mahseer. Tried it myself, but a combination of circumstances meant I didn't get to fish, or stay.

You need to have plenty of rups with you to pay bills, and stay as far into the park as poss.

Train from Delhi to Ramnagar, then rickshaw to the park.

Enjoy,

Steve

I fished the Kosi river about two weeks ago, very near Corbett. Only for a couple of hours as I was there to Photograph Tiger. No luck there but I did manage 5 small Mahseer on stale bread crust and I saw fish maybe just touching double figures but I was told just a bit further up river they go to 50 kg !!!

Delhi to Corbett .......... seven hours .......... by taxi, very interesting trip :blink:

Photo17_17A.jpg

Photo12_12A.jpg

It looks superb, I'm jealous now.

But the last time I was in India, I did get a shot of a wild tiger!

Nagarhole WLS is closed to the general public during March, so all the wildlife becomes a bit bolder. Staying on one of the big resorts, they have dispensation to take in small groups during the off season. I had two trips, and saw a pair of tigers on my second trip.

Anyone heading to the Cauvery, Nagarhole is the nearest big WLS to there.

Can thoroughly recommend King's Sanctuary as a place to stay.

www.mahseertrust.org

check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

One way of catching them I suppose:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25...2023763,00.html

However, it is the golden-scaled Himalayan mahseer (Barbus tor putitora), a member of the carp family, that the poachers are after. Their favoured method is dynamite. “But fuses are expensive, so they can be a bit on the short side,” Mr Badola said. “You can tell some old poachers by their lack of a hand.”
But be careful where you fish!

Locals claim that in the Mahakali river a goonch has grown to such monstrous proportions from feeding on corpses from riverside funeral pyres that it no longer waits for its food to die. It has allegedly made off with a carpenter, a small boy and a fully grown buffalo. Man Singh, the buffalo’s owner, said: “It was as big as the buffalo.”

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust