Reel line

peterthefisherman

Got my 525 supermag and am using it with a penn ppt sidewinder 13.5 ft. The guy in the shop gave me some 20 Lb line to use with it I would have thought 15 Lb better - it is really mainly for clean ground. Will be using 5 oz weight and 50 Lb shock leader.

What do you guys think :)

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Got my 525 supermag and am using it with a penn ppt sidewinder 13.5 ft. The guy in the shop gave me some 20 Lb line to use with it I would have thought 15 Lb better - it is really mainly for clean ground. Will be using 5 oz weight and 50 Lb shock leader.

I would tend to agree ... If you fish clean ground all the time.

But if you move sites a lot perhaps a 20lb, or even a 25lb, might be more suitable for "mixed ground" fishing. And your reel capacity won't be unduly compromised by a heavier line, you can still get 150yds or more of 20lb line on that reel !! :D:D

I suppose I'm lucky that I carry different reels ... with different lines !! :lol::lol:

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

To be honest over mixed ground i normally use 18lb line usually shakespere specimen sea sa its cheap and as good as anything else on the market. The important thing I guess is the shockleader, personally id be inclined to go for a higher breaking strain of shockie. I pendulum cast and i know i could easily break a 50lb leader during the cast, I use 80lb the good thing with that is it acts as a rubbing leader say fishing from rocks onto clean ground or the like.

15lb would be better, Sufix Tritanium is a good line for the price.