Tales from the country ITV1

Peter Sharpe

I've just watched this programme, in which a 20 pound pike was killed to be served up in a pub restaurant, thereby making all comments about Eastern Europeans killing for the pot seem immediately invalid. This was followed by the catching of a large number of crayfish in a trap, with no effort made to explain the differences between the signal crayfish and the native British species. To top it off, the same bloke went shooting woodpigeon, ceremonially ejecting his cartridges onto the ground as he walked off. This has always bugged me about shooters, who don't seem to regard spent cartridges for the unsightly litter that it is. I suppose the excuse is that many of them are farmers, who also don't seem to think that empty chemical drums count as litter either.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

dont know about everyone else but i always pick my spent cartridges up

Good for you and I wish more people followed your example. I visited a wood recently where there were quite incredible numbers of them on the ground. You literally could not walk five steps in some areas without coming across one. As we always say about angling's litter louts, the empty packiaging is always far lighter to take home than when it was carried to the waterside.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I visited a wood recently where there were quite incredible numbers of them on the ground. You literally could not walk five steps in some areas without coming across one

Are the end caps still brass? .... must be worth going round picking them up for scrap, the price of non ferrous metal these days.

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Guest tigger

Even if you pick your empty shells up you've still got the placky wad lying arround. Maybe better use paper shells and felt wads.

Me too, both when on the move rough shooting and after leaving a peg on driven days.

I almost always return from the lake with angler litter too, I'm dissapointed at the amount I find especially given that the lake is lightly fished. I sometimes pick up general rubbish too, however I feel so guilty to see blast frozen deadbait bags, lure and ready made wire trace packets. I can't walk past those for fear of association. Why do some people put lures etc into their tackle boxes still in the packaging? apart from anthing else I need to unpack 'em as soon as I get home and have a feel! Dumping the packets on the bank is unforgivable.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

There are times on the Trent, when fishing becomes almost impossible when a match has finished upstream, due to the amount of caster bags that come floating down.

I used to but now I don't bother. Last time, the police were outside the bank waiting on me..... :rolleyes:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I used to but now I don't bother. Last time, the police were outside the bank waiting on me..... :rolleyes:

Best to still pick 'em up, your 'dabs' might be on 'em! B)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"