Help with spinning

xiqual fish

i went to derby today and met xiqual fish and we did a bit of spinning and things ,took a look at his set ups ,the reel was of the right size for his rods but the line that came supplied with it was a bit springy and a little too much on the spool so we stripped some off so the loose coils didn't just fall off inthe wind then casting was better but being a very shallow pond (2-3 ft deep) one off his spinners caught on the silty bottom (very straw matty type) so i took the oppertunity to show him how to pull for a brake ,so here's me telling him ( as i demonstrated ) about the importance of keeping your rod low and tightening up to the lure so you have a taught line and was holding the spool and handle still ( to avoide pulling against the drag and the handle spinning around and whacking my knuckles) and was just saying to point the rod at the lure and pull firmly backwards and even taking a few steps back when the reels handle's shaft snapped like a dried up trig i wasn't even winding just pulling back,the actuall threaded shaft snapped clean through ,i carried on pulling for the break and his spinner pulled free bringing a clump of the bottom matted material with it,( its a very unusuall thing to break a reels handles shaft in that way,i've seen the stem of the reels foot break but never the shaft the goes through the center of the reel that the handle's fixed too ! ) it was a cheap budget type reel a shakespeare one ,as it was me who broke it i replaced it with one of mine ( luckey bugger as it had not long had 50m of 20lb power pro spool onto it ) once things sorted themselfs out we did some overhead and side casting and learned how different spinners ( mepps / tobys) worked and how some plugs behaven in the water.got loads of casting practice in before returning too my car for a break and to get the baitcaster tooled up and then onto the footy pitch for casting practice with a lead attached and got afew goes at undoing the occational ( only about 4 or 5 ) small birds nests that where easly sorted.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

we had a go with an 11ft 2lb tc carp/pike rod (not an ideal match to a jw six shooter reel ) but we managed to get to grips with the overhead casting and managed a respectable 40 - 50 yds + then we switched to using a single handed jw six shooter rod and soon had that baitcaster reel singing doing side casts and things and getting our thumbs working on the spool and the line better and then we changed rods again and went onto the river for a couple of hours ,didn't catch any fish but we managed to iron out a few winkles,i really enjoyed the day got to try out some new rods and things and did quite well with the bait casting,i tried to pass on as many tips as i could and if only a few stick he'll be ok in the future and with practice the accuracy of his casting will improve as by the end of our days fishing he was doing really great as his casting had come on in leaps and bounds .and i wish xiqual fish (steve) every success in his fishing adventures.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I went for a session this morning to the same spot to try ou my new skills, and what a world of diffrence it made, the only trees that were in danger of snagging my lures were the ones on the other side of the lake :whistling:

anyhoo, i lost no tackle this time, didnt snag up and had no bum casts the only thing that stopped play this time was an imopossible birds nest tangle in my line that resulted in me having to cut the line leaving my spool too underfilled (is tangling a common probem with braid?)

didnt catch anything but thats not the point.