Isle of Skye?

shad

Hi

Planning the Summer trips now that spring is in the air :sun:

I really fancy a weekend on Skye SWFFing for Pollack,anyone used a Yak up that way?any recomendations for good marks with decent launching would be a big help.I will only have a weekend and dont want to spend it driving round the Island.

Cheers Colin

Shad,

my sister has a camp site right by the water on the Trotternish peninsular. I have had double figure pollock off the rocks a mere 10 minutes walk round the bay from the campsite! There is a long reef which sticks out towards the Minch, covered in kelp and pretty deep. The tide swings round the bay and over the reef causing a mini rip - not rough, just an upwelling and good flow. One brilliant morning I had 3 double figure pollock here in the same session, adn a load of smaller ones.

For the kayak, you could launch off the beach 20 yards from your tent, about a 20 foot descent down the bank with eroded paths down - not cut paths, just lots of feet have cut it path. From there it is about 1/2 mile paddle - mackerel too in the bay if you are there in summer, and few midges because you are right on the beach.

If you know Skye, take the road up the hill out of Uig, keep left, don't go to the Quairang. Follow through Linicro to the crossroads at Bornaskitaig, you will see the big fank right on the turning. Turn left and just keep going straight over the crossroads and right down to the sea. The campsite is at the bottom and the house is right beside it - last house on the RIGHT before you get to the fishermen's hut and the quay. There will also be signs for Murcurdy's Exhibition - that is my brother-in-law's doing! He also does gaelic writing and translations and stuff. Bryony and Iain (Macdonald). They also do B&B for two - no room for anymore.

I was hoping to take the yak up there one dy too! I fancy paddling across to Harris 7 Lewis for some of their seatrout in the sea...about 25 miles across the Minch, you are looking over to the islands from the campsite.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Spot on Yakity

Thanks for the information Simon,I have been to Skye but in my Trout fishing days before I got the SWFF bug.Sound great ,I will be having at least a weekend there during the Summer.A week would be nice but my holidays are pretty much gone on trips abroad.

I like your idea about Sea trout but not the 25 mile paddle bit,must be so much unexplored fishing up there-very few charter boats or shore anglers.

Time to start planning ,if your ever heading up give me a shout.

Cheers Colin

Hi Colin

Have you had the P13 out in the sea yet ? :boat:

It's been a bit rough for me so far this year. I braved the weather today and went to Yetholm Loch, it was baltic.

It's been frozen over and not long thawed out. My brother Alan had the fly rod out but I stuck to the spinning rod, too cold for stripping line....

I landed one Pike and lost another one at the side of the boat. :thumbs:

Neil.

Neil

No just been going round Whiteadder Reservoir,its been too rough as you say.Still a few bits to get VHF etc ,cant see me going out till well into May.

Going to Thortonloch Beach to play about without any fishing gear first,as you know its a bit warmer up there.

Do you and your brother both have the P13?

Cheers Colin

PM me if your going to Thorntonloch I will tag a long for a bit of support if yer going on yer tod.

I have a P13, but Alans not got his yet, . He was trying the P13 out today and I think he's going for the same, plus one for his son Steven. :D

Going to need a bigger roof rack. :blink:

Neil.