todays church

Zigs

Ziggy

Do you find much in the way of the Green Man or the old man of the woods symbolism in the churches you are restoring?

Tony

loads of them Tony u, tried to photo one of 3 in whitchurch canonicorum ( see other thread on churches

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/wot-chu...is+weeks+church

but they were on the chancel cieling & just out of reach of the flash. i do have one in the garden, hold on a mo while i take a picture

Edited by ziggy searchfield

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

greenman.jpg

For those of you that read this & think tony & i have gone a bit mad :

The green man symbol is found in churches all over the country. it takes the form of a foliate leaf mask or a head with greenery coming out of nose, ears or eyes ( sometimes all !)

he is a symbol of nature, spring killing winter, death & rebirth.

the churches may be christian but the masons still held the old beliefs close to heart.

as far as i know the only named one is "sylvanus" the roman god of the woods, except for my one, he's called Eric.

Ziggy

Nice one, Rochester Cathedral has loads; almost a temple to the Green Man. Have you seen Mike Harding's green man website http://www.mikeharding.co.uk/greenman/greenindex.html worth a look.

Mine is a contemporary version taken from the house of the the ex Lady Mayor of Leeds.

I will get a picture on the site as soon as I can.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Ziggy

Nice one, Rochester Cathedral has loads; almost a temple to the Green Man. Have you seen Mike Harding's green man website http://www.mikeharding.co.uk/greenman/greenindex.html worth a look.

Mine is a contemporary version taken from the house of the the ex Lady Mayor of Leeds.

I will get a picture on the site as soon as I can.

i have been to the sweeps festival at Rochester & i think i may have a book of green men by mike harding.

couldnt see the cathedral through the real ale though :)

Will take pics of any i can get near enough in future

i have been to the sweeps festival at Rochester & i think i may have a book of green men by mike harding.

couldnt see the cathedral through the real ale though :)

Ziggy

That's probably why you did not see me and the lads dancing there, we do it every year even though we should know better at our age

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Ziggy

That's probably why you did not see me and the lads dancing there, we do it every year even though we should know better at our age

arr, but did you have sex on the train on the way back :) i'm a member of the 4 foot high club now :lol:

arr, but did you have sex on the train on the way back :) i'm a member of the 4 foot high club now :lol:

No, not with the mens team I didn't!

The missus usaully drives me back after the parade as I am usually a bit worse for wear it's all those drinks the public keep giving me.

Tony

OI OI

verry interesting job you have ziggy, i to enjoy your pictures please keep them comming as im also getting an education from it all eg: the green man facinating, you must be verry proud of your work.

:thumbs::thumbs::sun:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

OI OI

verry interesting job you have ziggy, i to enjoy your pictures please keep them comming as im also getting an education from it all eg: the green man facinating, you must be verry proud of your work.

:thumbs::thumbs::sun:

glad you like it bill, it does give you a good feeling to keep our heritage as best as possible for future generations.

Have you spoken to a.n. member John Storey ? he is one of our senior managers & also comes from your neck of the woods. :)