delivered frozen bait

A Norfolk Boy

Processed black lug, by processed I mean frozen and refrozen several times through being taken on several trips, can work a treat sometimes as Winter has noted. Sometimes the fish will only take if a specific part of the worm is used as bait.

I buy frozen bait direct from the shop and get it into a freezer fairly quickly, I think postal supply should work especially if you were fishing that day or the next, assuming same day delivery and a bulky order. It is useless to refreeze crab or sandeel in my opinion. Sandeel does have a limited life in the freezer as it tends to become 'freezer burnt' after 2 or 3 months.

Most successful baits for me in 2004, in descending order, fresh lug, fresh peeler, frozen peeler, frozen mussel, frozen sandeel, farmed rag and frozen or fresh mackeral strip. Main target was cod, biggest caught was 7lb (boat) and 4lb (shore), best specimen was a 5lb ballan wrasse off the shore (returned). Fish were generally small throughout the year, the cod averaging 1 to 2lb, most were returned. On the day it was often trial and error in finding out what they would take that day, especially after a big blow when they were stuffed full of lug and taking baits very tentatively.

Rockling, you mention freezer burn. The way Baitsdirect products are sealed in their packs eliminates freezer burn. I have kept their sandeels for 9 months, and they have been perfect. I use our big chest freezer, better than the small fridge/freezers. I just put the packs into a thick carrier bag, and straight into the freezer.