Fly Fishing from the Kayak.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi All.

Realy want to play with the fly rod this season on the kayak.

Im using a Sciera Blue Water rod 9 wieght.

Thinking of trying one of the multi tip fly lines, the idea of having a choice of line to suit different ground and depths appeals

Has anyone been using them, can you reccomend the best one to buy please, and how do you get on with them.

Cheers. :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, a good leader is the way to go, maybe with a slow sinking line. This with a med weight fly well may suit casting off the yak.terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Yakity

Multi tip lines really arent worth it for SWFF,they have never taken off here or in the States.

Multi tip lines mainly have floating running line and a short sinking tip which limits the depth you can fish,it would be pretty useless over deep marks for Pollack etc

Far better to pay the extra for 3 different lines-

Floater NOT Airflo

Intermediate or Cortland sl 15 ft Ghost tip

Sinker -Teeny 350 or Airlo di 7

OR make your own shooting head set up ,hard work to cast and the running line is prone to tangling.But cheaper and only uses one spool.

Just my thoughts on this,I do a fair bit of SWFF and have wasted a fortune on buying cheap/unsuitable lines .

Buy crap you buy twice!If you fancy the shooting head option I can help further let me know.

Cheers Colin

Bill the tamper size realy is up to you, I like to use one just longer then the rod, keep the knots away from the rings, This season I am aiming at using a heavy fly with lead eyes and a slow sinking line, so will go for a 6 pound leader. terry

Yakity

Multi tip lines really arent worth it for SWFF,they have never taken off here or in the States.

Multi tip lines mainly have floating running line and a short sinking tip which limits the depth you can fish,it would be pretty useless over deep marks for Pollack etc

Far better to pay the extra for 3 different lines-

Floater NOT Airflo

Intermediate or Cortland sl 15 ft Ghost tip

Sinker -Teeny 350 or Airlo di 7

OR make your own shooting head set up ,hard work to cast and the running line is prone to tangling.But cheaper and only uses one spool.

Just my thoughts on this,I do a fair bit of SWFF and have wasted a fortune on buying cheap/unsuitable lines .

Buy crap you buy twice!If you fancy the shooting head option I can help further let me know.

Cheers Colin

Hi Shad.

So glad I asked the question, I was going to buy one of the Multi tips.

Thankyou for your recommendations on the lines, I will buy the three, and need another spare spool now.

Is golf cheaper than this lark :D

Any preference on the floater ?, what make?

Thanks Colin.

Bill.

cortland, cortland, thats the best, keeps well and will last the seaon and with care a second. terry

I just love Snowbee wf lines speaking as a land based angler. Cast like a dream and minimal coil memory. I'm interested in getting my hands on some of the new Teeny lines from USA, specially designed to carry big bugs. Should mean that you won't need to carry much line in the air and be able to haul good distance.

PROWLER 13 - RED

Jersey, C.I.