choosing a fishfinder for pr15

happymondays

Hi can anyone help me on choosing a fishfinder for my prowler 15' I have heard the hummingbird 565 is ok but would love to hear on anyones ideas on any alternatives. I have fished around Jersey with relative success but i am going to fish the lake district for pike and would need a finder to find those distinguishing features pike like. I have never used a fishfinder so any help on choosing one would be really helpful !!

You have mail

Just had a look at 565 nice bit of kit but might be a bit big depending on where you are going to site it. Bearing in mind that for ease of use it has to be close enough to reach. Tends to put it in the area level with your feet. Im a short ar%& so my sonar is half way down the console (shin level). The unit ive got is narrow so i can still swing the boots about without kicking it overboard. Just a thought.

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Darnsarf,

The 565 has the same size display as the one on the Project Caper, infact it's the same as on the Prowler Project so you've paddled with both between your feet, I don't find it too big at all, and have never kicked it.

Humminbird have brought out a new range of finders for 2006 so it may be worth having a look at the website for more details. Personally I would consider one of the Matrix models as it gives the option of attaching a GPS at a later date, something that will be very handy in locating marks once found.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Darnsarf,

The 565 has the same size display as the one on the Project Caper, infact it's the same as on the Prowler Project so you've paddled with both between your feet, I don't find it too big at all, and have never kicked it.

Humminbird have brought out a new range of finders for 2006 so it may be worth having a look at the website for more details. Personally I would consider one of the Matrix models as it gives the option of attaching a GPS at a later date, something that will be very handy in locating marks once found.

SM :)

Thanks sm will have a look

SM I can certainly vouch that its waterproof........... :oops: Also liked the display but I was very aware of its size when moving around. Granted, we aren't talking plasma screen. Worth having atleast a look at Eagle/Lowrance and Garmin. All have waterproof, detachable sonars that look ideal for yakking. Will have a better idea about my new one after tomorrow.

Also have to bear in mind VFM, you can now get combined colour sonar/gps units for £259.

Having said all that you wont go wrong with the HUmmingbird. :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)