Keeping your catch?......

Scopex

Guest jay_con

No chance of catching such things here. The main 2 target species (cod and whiting)are edible and I only target cod so my fish dont go to waste. We dont catch wrasse as we fish in the dark, Our club bass size is 41 cm and I have only seen half a dozen brought to the scales in 10 years - Would be nice to catch 1 or 2 that size. I would say rockling are about the only species killed that wont be eaten by someone or something.

Is it possible to catch tope from the shore in some parts???

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with what youre saying on the flounders as its happened in a small estuary system here that used to hold a good head of big flounders,all they would do was come in and out with the tides.until a 3 hook weight match was held there,some big bags were caught and its never been the same.

by the way i wasnt fishing then.

now its catch and release on flounders.

but surely some of you are in the wrong sport if youre that squeamish over keeping a few fish for the pot.

Maximo, the sport is in the "catching" and in certain cases playing of the fish on the right tackle of course not the "killing" and "eating" of them, and in my case the pleasure of a successful release and watching it swim away to fight another day gives extra gratification if its given the chance.......

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

i agree stavey and release my fair share of fish,more than half of the bass i catch,nearly all the flatfish including plaice.

but some venues dont suit catch and release,so if i catch a decent bag of edible fish in a weight match i would be looking to put some back while pleasure fishing.

Guest jay_con

maximo:

i agree stavey and release my fair share of fish,more than half of the bass i catch,nearly all the flatfish including plaice.

but some venues dont suit catch and release,so if i catch a decent bag of edible fish in a weight match i would be looking to put some back while pleasure fishing.

I share that statement max..

Guest jay_con

stavey:

Maximo, the sport is in the "catching" and in certain cases playing of the fish on the right tackle of course not the "killing" and "eating" of them, and in my case the pleasure of a successful release and watching it swim away to fight another day gives extra gratification if its given the chance.......

As a lot do here Stavey you talk of your experience of a situation, I have no problem with that, but what you must remember is your experience is not that of everyone else. You missed out something that is very important to myself. What im talking about is the years of learning your sport. The years of studying a venue , the tides, the wind, the direction of sea swell. The collecting of bait and knowing what works well in certain situations. For me these factors are equal in enjoyment if not more so than the catching of a fish that is so important to yourself. To the next man who posts another factor may be paramount - Perhaps the "killing and eating" maybe where he gets his enjoyment but I will not judge him on that nor you on your need to return a fish to gain enjoyment.

Keep what you want, provided its sizable and throw back the rest.Its down to your own personal ethics or concience, not for some one else to tell you whats "right or wrong".

We should all be aware of conservation, but conservation is not as simple as everyone just throwing back all their fish.

Provided you are respectful of your quarry its down to you and you shouldn't be made to feel guilty for making your own decisions.

Although I agree with Chappers that in the end it has to be down to personal choice, I cant help but feel that the bloke that kills every sizable fish he catches isn't doing his sport any favours.

I simply enjoy catching fish, regardless of whether or not that fish is destined to be put back or taken home for tea, used for bait etc. It doesn't affect that enjoyment, the fact that I put most back is just my own personal choice.

[ 05. October 2005, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Scopex ]

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."