Prowlers

codshead

Agree about the Scupper not being suitable for long periods side saddle but then the seating area is one of the most comfortable around anyway, most people dont bother with a seat (as long as you fit). Its the deep seating position that does make the cockpit wetter (shallower scuppers/your closer to the water) but not as wet as people make out. Its bone dry in calm conditions with plugs fitted. Its that same deep depth and low centre of gravity that makes this narrow yak so stable. This adds to the experience not detracts. If you want to stay completely dry don't Kayak fish from a SOT.

Its the same old adage try before you buy. If you end up with any of these you will end up a happy bunny. One will feel right for you. It really is a personal thing. There are enough people on here and the dealers to let you take each of them out for a test paddle.

If you were willing to come down to Southampton we could certainly arrange for you to test the the P13, my Scupperpro and maybe even the P15 (would need to talk to Bournemouth Canoes about the P15 and may need to go to Poole Harbour).

Good Luck

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.bournemouthcanoes.co.uk

01202 625256 ask for Simon

We'll I've made me mind up and ordered a p13 , should have it in a couple of weeks or there abouts. :sun:

I ended up with a P13 after trying several yaks this one ( like someone here said ) just felt RIGHT :thumbs:

Enjoy.

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Codshead, fine choice. Now for all the rigging discussions! ;):P:boat:

Your right there darnsarf, I've got loads of questions on that front. Ere we go , 1. do most of you prefer to anchor from the stern, 2. whats the forums opinion on rudder kits. 3. fishfinders , which one . ?. That'll do for now. I'm off to bed dreamin about long summer days in me yak.

Congrats and welcome to the club :)

1. Yep, I prefer to anchor form the stern, I didn'tbother running the pulley to the front and I have never missed it. If there is any breeze I want it behind me ;)

2. Never tried one but they strike me as just more expense..... and I have never yet thought to myself "God I really need a rudder" and I paddle in pretty open water.

3. I think with fishfinders its generally best to avoid the really cheap units as they have a such a small screen and low power, but then I guess it depend son where you fish. Not everybody fishes in as deep water as I do cos I'm a bit miffed that my Mattrix17 struggles to see anything beyond 300ft with a soft bottom, although that probably has as much to do with my installation and cross-talk from the GPS. Other than that I really like it and would recommend it.

1. Depends on your fishing style and the tides where you fish. If you like to just cast a ledger over the side then just running to the rear is fine. If you like to float or lure fish and possibly fly (I dont do it - not yet anyway) tide and wind can sometimes combine in strange ways and the yak can end up facing the wrong way. Thats why I have mine to both front and rear. I use the rear mostly but as on one ocassion yesterday it was best run to the front to get the yak facing the correct fishing position. Personal opinion, its best to have it and not use it rather than not have it to find you need it.

2. Rudders, like Spanner never had the need or pocket.

3. Not as essential as some of us like to make out. (I love mine: Lowrance M68i (goes down to 600ft Spanner)) The model will depend on where you want to fish, are you planning on getting GPS, possibly a combined unit. How deep will you be fishing. Are you intending just fishing marks you already know (unlikely). Id leave it until you have been out a couple of times just to get a feel for your own requirements. They are easy to install just keep the area free that may be required if you do fit one. Try the thread below.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=60537

Edited by darnsarf

Nominally mine goes down to 1000ft .... but in 320ft on a muddy bottom I can only just pick it up on the highest gain..... and once it gets deeper it looses it.

Basically its not getting enough signal over and above the background nosie, so either I'm loosing too much signal or introducing too much noise.

I have the NMEA output from my GPS feeding into it so I can use the bigger screen, better display, and extra waypoints on the FF, but that introduces noise that I can clearly see and that overcmes the bottom signal by about 160-180ft over mud. If I switch off the NMEA output from the GPS it is good to 320ft or so.

A combined unit avoids any of those problems but I decided to use a handhelp GPS I already had rather than pay extra for the combined unit........... probably false economy.

A hard bottom would help a lot but plenty of units work fine to 650Ft or more in the Sound of Mull, so it I know it should be better than it is.

I have all the cables coming through 1 hole, the xducer, power and NMEA, so I'm going to try making a seperate hole for the xducer cable just incase its picking up noise that way. Similarly I'm going to try re-organising below deck to make sure Xducer cable stays away from the battery box and power cables.

I may have got some air in when I epoxied it down...... that is always nagging at the back of my head..... and there is nothing I can do about that now.......

I was going to try throwing the yak down to road to dislodge the xducer but aparently even that wont work ;)

Edited by spanner