Okuma or shimano?

quaks

Can anyone relate to my problem with the Shimano baitrunner - At the start of the season I purchased a 6000 GTE, and although too big for some, I found it a great reel for Barbel fishing (Extra cranking power) . In line with this I decided to buy a second reel and this time went for the 5000 GTE, as I felt the smaller reel model, would also be good for my winter Chub fishing. Now the problem - I've tried 3 times to load line on the 5000 GTE; however the line lay is all over the place and is not constant. It's also proving expensive by way of wasted line . Has anyone else experienced this problem with the 5000 GTE ?

Probably down to the same problem that I have had with 2 GTE5000's from new in that the spindle takes on a second oscilation when retrieving line. Sent back to Shimano but the problem is still there. AS you say PA, the line lay is all over the place.

Both from Barbel Fishing World. Not everyone shares your view about the seeming infallibility of Shimano

and the line lay on my Okumas is as good as I've ever had from Shimano, Daiwa and ABU. Never had a problem.

Three points.

Your blanket statement that Okumas are heavier than Shimano is simply not true. Some models may be but of the three reels that I compared (four if you consider the ABU Baitrunner) the Okuma was the lightest and those are reels at the popular end of the market. You took the discussion away to comparisons of more exotic species that very few in the UK are likely to buy (or even see) and at that point it becomes almost irrelevant, since only a small minority are going to be in that market.

Furthermore when buying a reel, few of us carry scales to weigh them. Value for money and function is more important to most and none of the major players stray too far from what any of us would normally find acceptable when we pick up a reel and hold it in our hand and not on the end of a spring balance.

Bearings. Where did you get the idea that Shimano somehow use superior bearings? I'd really like to know why you feel that Okuma need to use a lower grade bearing considering the cost factor is negligible and I'd also be curious to know where you got your information from. Good time to point out that the Shimano RE only has one bearing in the body, not exactly a sign of a long lasting smoothy

Shimano prices. Please show us all where we can purchase a Shimano RE6000 for £49.99, if only for the benefit of those with less cash in their pocket than you or I. Also should point out that even if you can get them for that money you'd still need another spool and a second handle and a spare set of gaskets to compare like with like. So you're still technically over twice the price and for a lesser specified reel.

Fact is we disagree.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerry, once again, statements are being taken out of context and views I never expressed are being quoted.

Being a tackle enthusiast and a collector of modern tackle I enjoy a discussion as much as anyone around and rather cherishes the fact we all are allowed to have different opinions and views. However, what I certainly don’t enjoy one bit is consciously being credited opinions I never expressed. To be honest, I find it unhelpful and more than a tad disappointing. Oh well, I suppose you learn something every day :(:(

I did NOT say the all Okuma reels were heavier than it’s equivalent bothers and sisters from either Shimano or Daiwa. What I did say, was that generally speaking most Okuma reels were heavier, which in my book does not equate to all. If you want to interpret that as blanket statement then you certainly know something I don’t.

Yes, I do find the weight of reel to be very, very important and when considering a reel for lure fishing I would always choose the lightest alternative if everything else was equal. Of course, if the reel is mounted on a rod that is going to spend most of its active angling life in a rod rest the weight issue is not very important at all. Currently, leading rod manufactures are spending significant amount of time & effort into making their rod lighter, (it’s possible to now buy a 7 feet lure rod weighing as little as just over 3oz) introducing split rear-grips and removing for-grips in order to save weight and improve sensitivity, rendering the reel weight even more important.

I’m the first to admit I should not have used the expression rubbish when it came to describing Okuma’s policy of installing huge number of bearings in some of their low to medium market reels. However, would you kindly remind me were I actually said that Shimano uses better bearing quality than Okuma, because I can certainly not recollect that particular statement. However, what I did say, or at least what I thought I said, was that contrary to popular opinion, installing a huge number of bearings in a spinning reel does not necessarily improves smoothness, longevity and overall quality, but most of the time only adds unnecessary weight.

Prices on Shimano Baitrunner RE?…..not a problem, I’m more than happy to oblige and repost exactly the same link I posted when I first mentioned the £49.99 price :lol::lol:

Shimano Baitrunner RE 5000 @ £39.99

Shimano Baitrunner RE 6000 @ £49.99

Shimano Baitrunner RE 8000 @ £49.99

Cheap Shimano RE

Yes, your right the Okuma Epix Pro Baitrunner does come with two spare spools plus an extra handle and I suppose it has to come down to the individual punter to decide what’s best for him or her. Out of curiosity though, how many times have you actually used the spare handles you reels came with? Personally, I happen believe Okuma had been much better off spending the money on improving the quality on the spare spools they supply.

Looking at it from a marketing point of view, what I genuinely don’t understand is why Okuma continues to introduce more and more medium and high-end reels, such as the V system reel that sells for £150-160 here in the UK.

Okuma VS reel

Surely, if your low-end reels is that much better than your competitors offerings, independent of their price levels, you would continue to mop up the market, whilst laughing all the way to the bank.

Yes, I think your right, there is a considerable better chance for snowmen surviving a certain very, very warm place than us agreeing on this particular subject :lol::lol: