Tarpon 140 Angler First Impressions

Starvinmarvin

Took the Tarpon out for its first dip on Sunday, everyone who I have spoken too have told me that I wouldn't like it, but I kept my options open.

Found her harder to get into from a thigh deep launch, as the cockpit is smaller. Paddling it feels slower than the Prowler, but looking against the shoreline and with nothing else to judge it by I think the pace is very similar to paddle stroke effort. Very easy to turn into the wind as she sits lower in the water and the bow is lower.

Handles were a problem as I kept hitting my knuckles, but adjusted my paddle stroke and everything was fine.

At rest, I missed my anchor trolley. Moving around the stability was increadible, you can slide upto the front hatch without so much as a wobble. Sitting side on is comfortable as well again with no wobble or lean.

The 2006 model comes with a padded back rest but no bum pad, still it was comfortable for the 3 hours I was out.

Rear tankwell is vast, sadly my crate wouldn't fit so I had to take a soft bag, not ideal, was unable to reach rear bungee to release so had to drag under, will move the fittings to fit in with my shortness.

Will also need to get a little more organised as with a small bait cooler I was struggling for room in the cockpit when tackling up and baiting up. Mind you I normally keep the small cooler in my crate so this isn't normally a problem.

Plugs on the rear rod holders are a feature on the Perception models as well, will probably remove as they are a bit of a pain, will have to check if they are a necessary pain (will check flush mounts for leaks).

Anyway that was basically it. Made me think that with the kayaks I have paddled so far, if only I could cut some of the bits out from one and stick them on the other, then I might have the perfect fishing kayak.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

reading between the lines did I notice a slight degree of dissatisfaction SM come on tell us which is best -Prowler or Tampon? :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Interesting reading.

I guess its the little things that make all the difference, an extra stretch here or a bit tight on cockpit space there.

I'm sure all of these makes and models will be thoroughly competent, and its really hard to judge paddling effort and speed unless you take a GPS and test severeal back to back at the same time.

I can't help thinking though that the noticeable primary stability will come at a cost, and for me that says I have no regrets over my choice :)

Although it would be nice to have the cash to splash on a Dorado :)

Nice write up SM. Probably best to compare when you have her rigged. Shame you couldnt get her down to Warbarrow but will see you on the water soon.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Richi,

No dissatisfaction at all, the Tarpon is very well made, one Scupper out of alignment, similar to on the Prowler which is interesting, otherwise very well finished, all fittings are bolted through with fibre washers on inside of hull.

I do need to test some more and like Darnsarf pointed out, probably best to wait until I have sorted out the rigging. I've been spoilt with the Prowler and am very comfortable fishing from her, I know how everything works and where to place for an easy time.

Thought I would be able to hop onboard the Tarpon without any issues. All the issues are with my jumping the gun really, apart from the bungee clips that I think an ape may have problems with reaching, but this is easily rectified, by moving the clips forward.

Got to also remember that I've been use to the Ocean Kayak layout over the last 3 years, having a flat cockpit area is very different, but not necessarily bad.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Glad to hear you got on well with her SM.

I have found the handles to be no problem myself as I am tall and long armed. I have the non angler version so I dont have the flushmount's, I fitted a berkley triple launcher to my crate instead.

A few suggesions if I may be so bold.

That cusion I bought online (posted a thread about it) fits perfect in the seat well, and yes it is good for piles (so I'm told ;) ).

I have a solid plastic storage box in my tank well from poundstrecher or somewhere like that fits perfectly and is easy to lash down.

throwback041.jpg

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Cheers GB,

The crate is my first stop, then the anchor system, but this will have to wait until I'm underway on the Malibu II XL project, this is my main priority over the next few months, I've got most of the bits I need and then it's out with the drill and sealant.

SM :

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

SM, does the tarpon not have any anchor system as standard, or am I reading the ads wrong, terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Terry, it comes with a standard anchor and 28 feet of rope all in a nice bag, for most area's in the UK you will need to get a longer line, like those from B&Q on the winder, 30m at least.

First time out I just tied off to the side handle using a double slip knot, held no problem, but will fit a trolley system for the next outing as I like to be anchored from the stern.

2006 models also have a padded backrest which was a nice surprise, plus the Scotty rod holder. There is a photo on AnglersAfloat of her on the reviews section. Just some photo's for now.

Edited by Starvinmarvin

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X