Different approach.....

Polly

Gonna try small (10mm) single fluro pop-up at the woolpack nect week, simply because the lake has been bombarded with spodded bait this weekend and I reckon a different approach is required. I, like most others, blanked again and put it down to the commotion caused by spodding (noy me I'll hasten to add!!). Only 1 carp was banked all weekend. Anyway not being a pop-up guru can anyone please suggest rigs (not too complicated please) I could use, need to cast between 40 & 60yards dependant on which swim i manage to acquire (if any, it's gonna be manic this weekend)

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I would say the reason not much is coming out is because its so busy, all the leads goin in and bankside noise and commotion really turns 'em off.

I would reccomend tryin a single grain of pop-up sweet corn rather than a boilie, thats just my oppinion but it usually catches over fluoros.

Rig wise just use your normal rig and fix a small shot onto the hooklength at what ever distance from the hook you want to pop up.

Test it in the margins before you cast out, might be worth fishing over a very small bag of pellets just for added attraction.

Best of luck anyhow.

steve.

I agree with Steve, sometimes a bright fluro pop up can actualy spook the fish, I am not a great fan of pop up's myself, only on a zig, that is not to say people don't have results with them, but the pop up corn aproach could be better.

I tried some scopex sticky toffee giant maize on Friday in a pva bag of mixed particles/hemp and amino black groundbait, with a good glug of corn and scopex flavouring on a hard water, nothing else worked boilie/flavour wise or luncheon meat, but this tactic landed me a 10 1/2 ghostie with in 15 minutes, not the biggest fish, but faught like a good un and was the most stunning looking/colour I have ever seen, also had a small crusion as well.

Was going to the woolpack myself this week end for a few days, but the plan is now Mepal, have some unfinished buisness with a rather large carp I lost at 4am one sunday morning the last time I was there.

Happy hunting Polly

Thanks guys, gonna give both methods a go but will probably give Woolpack a miss this weekend, I reckon it'll be "rammed" by Thursday tea-time.

I agree with Steve, sometimes a bright fluro pop up can actualy spook the fish, I am not a great fan of pop up's myself, only on a zig, that is not to say people don't have results with them, but the pop up corn aproach could be better.

I tried some scopex sticky toffee giant maize on Friday in a pva bag of mixed particles/hemp and amino black groundbait, with a good glug of corn and scopex flavouring on a hard water, nothing else worked boilie/flavour wise or luncheon meat, but this tactic landed me a 10 1/2 ghostie with in 15 minutes, not the biggest fish, but faught like a good un and was the most stunning looking/colour I have ever seen, also had a small crusion as well.

Was going to the woolpack myself this week end for a few days, but the plan is now Mepal, have some unfinished buisness with a rather large carp I lost at 4am one sunday morning the last time I was there.

Happy hunting Polly

Do y'get down the Woolpack much?? if so which lake do you prefer? I spend most of my time on either 3 or 2 (only green card member). If you're on the Gold card, is it worth the extra wonga?

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Thanks guys, gonna give both methods a go but will probably give Woolpack a miss this weekend, I reckon it'll be "rammed" by Thursday tea-time.

Do y'get down the Woolpack much?? if so which lake do you prefer? I spend most of my time on either 3 or 2 (only green card member). If you're on the Gold card, is it worth the extra wonga?

Hi Polly

Don't get up the woolpack much, I go with a guy and his son who are members as guests and pay the day ticket, he is on the green card, but they both have not had much luck up there this last year, so I havn't joined, only fished lake 1 as it's the nearest, but next time will try some of the others.Me and my son fish Saffron Walden club a lot and are looking to join Colchester club next month, they have 11 lakes and 4 rivers on their ticket, with some good 30 - 40lb carp in, cats at over 50, and large pike, tench etc and is only £66 a year for adults and £20 for under 17's, it's on the webb under CAPS, so a lot of water for your money.Will be checking them out this Thursday, going to have a drive round some of their lakes and have a look before finally joining up..