Fly Fishin'

Nemo

Chaps,

While tinkering in the garage setting up me yak I stumbled across my fly rod , which to be honest hasn't seen the light of day for some years.

It's an AFTM 5-7 wheight rod 9ft and the line thats on the reel is probably a 7, question is would this be suitable for saltwater casting or not ?.

Anyone know of any good sites showing setups for lines leaders and what flies to use.

Cheers :)

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler

Hi the best site for salt water fly fishing is

UKSWFF.

ie Uk saltwater fly fishing. THE rod should be ok, but make sure that the reel is able to deal with salt water, check the site out, theres lots of information to help you, terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Hi the best site for salt water fly fishing is

UKSWFF.

ie Uk saltwater fly fishing. THE rod should be ok, but make sure that the reel is able to deal with salt water, check the site out, theres lots of information to help you, terry

Terry,

Great site, just what I needed.

Cheers :D

Nemo,

Some of the SWFFers have started to use lighter weight rods 6 and 7 weights as you don't need to cast as far and it makes the fishing more enjoyable, so your gear will be well suited. Make sure you give the reel a good rinse in fresh water and a grease every now and then and you should be fine, I use a freshwater reel and have a tiny bit of corrosion on one of the spools due to a few days away when I didn't get around to washing it, silly me.

The UKSWFFers also get on AnglersNet occasionally under different disguises but you'll get to know them. There is a SWFFing weekend on the kayaks on the weekend of the 13-14th May in West Wales, you would be more than welcome to join in, they are a very friendly bunch. I hope to get there on the evening of the 11th and fish the 12th and 13th, hope to see you there.

Oh yes one thing I noticed last time I met with them, they all have very small tents but like to travel with huge BBQ's.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

SM,

Thanks for the offer but I may be on call that weekend (need to check), I'm glad that the rod comes up to muster as If I spend any more cash on Yak/fishing gear my other half's going to have me sleeping in a tent!!. :(

What line do you use ? I have just checked out Airflo's new ridge line which looks interesting (and at an offer price at the moment).

Cheers.

Nemo,

Chaps,

While tinkering in the garage setting up me yak I stumbled across my fly rod , which to be honest hasn't seen the light of day for some years.

It's an AFTM 5-7 wheight rod 9ft and the line thats on the reel is probably a 7, question is would this be suitable for saltwater casting or not ?.

Anyone know of any good sites showing setups for lines leaders and what flies to use.

Cheers :)

Want a few Snatcher specials to try,may as well cos most of the country has them now :) I am actually at the vice tomorrow so will do you a couple of freebies to try out. Name a pattern/hook size if you want?

Otherwise you get a couple of Snatchers 2006 model sandeels :)

You now owe me a pint,which is nice :P

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Thanks Snatcher,

Good of you to offer, for those who know me well I'm not one to pass up the offer of anything for free (it's in me Yorkshire blood). :D

I'm still in the process of rigging the Yak/sourcing some dry gear so hopefully I'll be sorted soon and have had a few practice run's before the mackrel hit the nearest coastline to me. In the mean time I will probably go down to the local canal (pike,perch and chub) and practice casting again after a long lay off....full face crash helmet and elastoplast on standby!!. :lol:

Cheers,

:)

Nemo,

Best of luck with the casting practice :headhurt: If you pm me your addy will post those sandeels to try :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Most use a Cortland 444 SL Ghost Tip I believe and that's what I use alongside an Airflo Di7 and Airflo Intermediate.

I have heard lots of moans about the Airflo Floating lines and would steer clear of them, the intermediate isn't very good either, their sinking lines are fine though. Cheep isn't always best.

If you shop around you should be able to get the Ghost Tip for about £38 + postage.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Best of luck with the casting practice :headhurt: If you pm me your addy will post those sandeels to try :)

Hi Snatcher,

Tried to PM you but it came back as either mailbox full or not turned on :blink:

Cheers,

Nemo

Nemo,