cheap ebay reel OPINIONS PLEASE!

rojones86

hello all! :D

i have started fishing again after a long break and recently bought a rod/reel combo and want to get a new reel, as the reel i got is a bit plastic and dodgey. i am pike fishing so i have a 20lb line ready to put on my new reel. money is a factor as ive just finished uni and am somehow unemployable!!

this is the reel:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=025

was just wondering what everyone thought. i'm pretty much just in love with the handle, but thats it. if you lot rekon it will work to a satisfactoy level, i will buy it and let you all know how good/crap it actually is!

cheers in advance, russ

Your posts will have to be approved before they appear until you reach your 15th post. I deleted the duplicate.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I just don't see the pint in that oversized handle and besides it says,

" Right-/ Left-Handed Interchangeable " For Fishing: Salt water / Freshwater !!

Does salt make a difference? I've never become left-handed when sea-fishing. I've had right-hand multis, which never made any sense to me at all but on fixed spools? Hardly a selling point is it?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

if you think that a metal grip (if it is metal) on a handle is a good thing for pike fishing may i draw your atttention to the fact that pike= winter=cold etc

up to you

try licking the inside of the freezer see what happens

(dont do that though it was said in jest)

Edited by noodle996

"High strong nylon body" - So it's plastic.....

If money's tight, you don't want to be throwing £17 away on a cheap import, which could potentially be junk. It's difficult to tell without handling a reel, but the above does indeed look like junk, with a big, shiny, plastic handle stuck on for effect.

You'd be better off saving another £10-£20 and looking for a low end Okuma, Daiwa, Shimano or Abu reel on eBay UK. Most of which are tried and tested, with a good reputation.

Edited by ooarr_not_a_maggot

thanks for the advice! i might just go into my over draft a bit more and get the import and if its crap get what you suggested.

p.s.

ive been fishing a small pond local to me, have caught one jack, but have also caught TWO different lures that other people have lost! one jelly worm and a three peice deep crank bait. anyone else been this lucky?!

thanks for the advice! i might just go into my over draft a bit more and get the import and if its crap get what you suggested.

p.s.

ive been fishing a small pond local to me, have caught one jack, but have also caught TWO different lures that other people have lost! one jelly worm and a three peice deep crank bait. anyone else been this lucky?!

If you really have to go down the cheaper reel route, at least buy something from the UK. Then when it turns up and you're not happy for whatever reason, you can still return it. There are plenty of usable reels on eBay (located in the UK) that are within your price range.